none
DHCP from router RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All 

We are having performance issues with the DHCP server that is embedded within the SBS server (SBS2011, standard)

Would it be possible to use the DHCP from another device assuming that I keep using the DNS server of the <g class="gr_ gr_248 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Style multiReplace" data-gr-id="248" id="248">SBS ?</g> 

Monday, February 18, 2019 10:46 AM

All replies

• I would much rather you fix whatever issues you are having with the SBS DHCP server.  The SBS DHCP server passes some parameters to the clients that the router will not.  That is not to say it won't work, but the MS DHCP server can be more useful in other ways, such as reserving IP addresses for such as printers.

When you say performance issues what exactly are you experiencing?

Larry Struckmeyer [MVP]-- --If your question is answered please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Tuesday, February 19, 2019 12:05 AM
  • hi Larry 

thank you for your help 

<g class="gr_ gr_179 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="179" id="179">basically</g> it takes a long time before the server responds to the <g class="gr_ gr_142 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="142" id="142">dhcp</g> request from the client, even if they are devices that previously had a lease. 

Tuesday, February 19, 2019 6:25 AM
  • Hi,

Using Microsoft DHCP and DNS servers is recommended, as integration between them will provide you better experience and automatic functions. Also, you can consider of using 3rd party DHCP server, however, you should manually disable DHCP on SBS, and it is better to contact your DHCP product provider and confirm with them if it is SBS compatible. 

Article “Do I absolutely have to run DHCP on SBS 2008” can be considered as a reference:
    https://sbs.seandaniel.com/2008/10/do-i-absolutely-have-to-run-dhcp-on-sbs.html

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

>basically it takes a long time before the server responds to the dhcp request from the client, even if they are devices that previously had a lease.
    Is there any 3rd party protection/anti-virus software on your SBS system? If possible, please re-start system in Clean Boot and confirm that if problem happens again.

Perform a clean startup to determine whether background programs are interfering with your game or program:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/331796/perform-a-clean-startup-to-determine-whether-background-programs-are-i

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 19, 2019 6:50 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang    

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 22, 2019 7:26 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Please click “Mark as answer” if any of above reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, February 25, 2019 8:48 AM