none
Folder redirection not applied to new path

Question

• Hi all,

I modified a GPO to redirect home folders (Folder redirection of documents, desktop, music...) to a new 2016 server, and removed the share on the old 2008 server. Now, even after 3 days and 5+ reboots, users still get a message that it can't access \\oldserver\share\%username%\desktop  when they log on. All other settings that pertain to the new server (like drive maps) work fine in that same GPO. Clients are all Win10.

The redirections point to folders inside the users' home directory, which SYSTEM and %username% have full control over. This is the same way it was set on the old server.

What am I missing here? Thanks.

• Edited by wilmackie Monday, January 09, 2017 11:14 PM
    Monday, January 09, 2017 10:49 PM

Answers

• I haven't used 2016 yet, but I did experience this in 2012 once.

I think the option "Move the contents of Desktop to the new location" might be causing the problem, because it's looking for a location that no longer exists. Does the message appear to any users that didn't have their desktop on the old share?

Sounds like it's trying to move the files from the old share.

• Marked as answer by wilmackie Tuesday, January 10, 2017 12:55 PM
    Tuesday, January 10, 2017 12:01 AM

All replies

• I haven't used 2016 yet, but I did experience this in 2012 once.

I think the option "Move the contents of Desktop to the new location" might be causing the problem, because it's looking for a location that no longer exists. Does the message appear to any users that didn't have their desktop on the old share?

Sounds like it's trying to move the files from the old share.

• Marked as answer by wilmackie Tuesday, January 10, 2017 12:55 PM
    Tuesday, January 10, 2017 12:01 AM
  • > Sounds like it's trying to move the files from the old share.

Exactly.

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 10:13 AM
  • To add to my previous post, you can check where the desktop is being viewed on the user's PC by checking the following registry setting:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\Desktop

Did you let the policy copy the files from the old server to the new one or did you copy them manually? If you copy them manually then that can cause this problem because it won't update the path correctly.

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 12:05 PM