none
DPM 2012 - best practice for System State RRS feed

• Question

• Is it best practice to have system states for protected systems in their own protection group?  I was wondering because I get error: If you also want to protect the system state of this computer, you must add the System State as a member of the protection group separately when I add system state on Server 2003 systems. 

The previous administrator setup COmputer\systm protection\system state for some machines in the same protection group where they are backing-up that systems C drive.

Friday, October 5, 2012 8:19 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes, it would be best practice to place them in seperate PG's because systemstate usually does not change that much and daily backups for systemstate are sometimes overkill.  If you place SystemState in seperate PG, then configure the recovery point time be different from volume recovery point times for the same server(s).

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by DDNDAVID Friday, October 5, 2012 11:01 PM
    Friday, October 5, 2012 9:11 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes, it would be best practice to place them in seperate PG's because systemstate usually does not change that much and daily backups for systemstate are sometimes overkill.  If you place SystemState in seperate PG, then configure the recovery point time be different from volume recovery point times for the same server(s).

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by DDNDAVID Friday, October 5, 2012 11:01 PM
    Friday, October 5, 2012 9:11 PM
  • I just wanted to add that the popup you get (See below) is just saying that protecting only the C: drive is NOT the same as a systemstate backup, so you should also select systemstate if that was your original intent.  SystemState does not have to be in a seperate PG, but as noted above, that would be a best practice for most servers. 

Friday, October 5, 2012 11:37 PM