none
Data Privacy Level for Current Workbook RRS feed

• Question

• It seems that if a query references Excel.CurrentWorkbook() and uses such query in another query that accesses some other external data that a specific data privacy level must be set for the "Current Workbook", EVEN if the specific Excel file is already set up as a Data Source with a privacy level, OR a parent folder in which the Excel file resides.  This is problematic as it requires any user of the workbook to select a privacy level for the Current Workbook and SAVE the file - but in my case these should be read-only files that the users don't need to save.  All I want to use Excel.CurrentWorkbook() for is to provide parameters/variables that can then be used in other queries.

Is there any workaround to have a previously set Privacy Level for an Excel workbook (via a file path) or upper level folder be satisfactory such that another Privacy Level doesn't need to be set for the "Current Workbook"?

Thanks.

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 10:48 PM

Answers

• Is there any workaround to have a previously set Privacy Level for an Excel workbook (via a file path) or upper level folder be satisfactory such that another Privacy Level doesn't need to be set for the "Current Workbook"?

Not currently.
    Thursday, October 16, 2014 6:26 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Any suggestions for Logan?

Thanks!

Ed Price, Azure & Power BI Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 10:42 PM
    Owner
  • I don't know of a way to make Current Workbook inherit the privacy level from a file or folder. Are these parameters in the workbook already or do you add them? In the first case you could read in the data using From Excel and use the existing privacy levels. In the second case you may be able to write some M to create the parameters. For example, if you just need a list of numbers you can show the formula bar by clicking on the View | Formula Bar checkbox in the editor and typing in something like this into the formula bar:

= { 1, 2, 3 }

Are these workarounds sufficient?

Thursday, October 2, 2014 12:47 AM
  • Is there any workaround to have a previously set Privacy Level for an Excel workbook (via a file path) or upper level folder be satisfactory such that another Privacy Level doesn't need to be set for the "Current Workbook"?

Not currently.
    Thursday, October 16, 2014 6:26 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Ehren,

Can you please let me know when this will be fixed.

Currently, we have a quite a few business critical reports in which dynamic parameters from the Excel table/named range are passed to power queries(as shown here or here )But the users are being prompted to select the Privacy level every time the report is being opened.

Please let me know if there is any workaround till it gets fixed to have default privacy level being set without prompting the user.

Will be eagerly waiting for your response.

Thanks,

Kiran

Simple Living, High Thinking.. :)

Thursday, July 2, 2015 10:06 AM
  • Hi Kiran,

If you trust the sources of data, and aren't concerned about data from once source being leaked to another via a PQ-generated query, you can have the users enable Fast Combine.

Ehren

Thursday, July 2, 2015 11:30 PM
    Owner
  • Thanks Ehren for your response.

Your suggestion works fine for the single report. But in case of user opening different reports, user has to enable in each report which is not desired by the user.

Regards,

RamukNarik

Simple Living, High Thinking.. :)

Monday, July 20, 2015 12:36 PM