ISDN vs. Hyper-V RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

we will do the following and we need urgent ISDN. I installed a Windows 2008 std. Server and add the role Hyper-V. As a virtuell machine, I will install Windows 2003. This server should have a connection to our onlinebanking system. Also we need urgent ISDN to connect us with the bank server.

Wich hardware should I buy to realize this. I think a external ISDN card is better for me but I don´t know how can I connect this ISDN card with a virtual server. Is it possible to connect external hardware via USB?

Thanks....

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 2:09 PM

Answers

• Using Hyper-V USB devices connected to the host cannot be 'given' to a VM.

I am assuming that you are thinking that you can add an ISDN card to your Hyper-V host and then present this connection to your VM??  (did I get that intent correct?)

Why not use a stand alone ISDN Modem, then connect its network port to a physical NIC on your host, then Create an external virtual network iwht that particular NIC htat you connect your VM to. (?)

I am familiar with some online banking systems, and know that some vendors require ISDN connections, etc.
    Unless your particular software or vendor requires that the software control the ISDN modem in some way (for example it dials out on demand), think about the problem as a traditional networking configuration.

And, in the scenario I outlined, you can disable the host nic that is on the External virtual network and then you have a network that is physically isolated for VM traffic only.

It really depends on the requirements of your software and other factors, which we are not aware.
    Brian Ehlert (hopefully you have found this useful)
    • Proposed as answer by Vincent Hu Thursday, March 19, 2009 8:12 AM
    • Marked as answer by Vincent Hu Monday, March 23, 2009 1:37 AM
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 2:42 PM