How do I map word attributes / fields to site columns RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Word automatically updates attributes / fields for it's documents. E.g. the field RevNum is updated each time a document is saved. Also the information about who modified the document last time is was saved, is maintained in the document.

How can I take attributes / field values like that from a specific word document and map it to a site column?

I'm using Word 2013 and SharePoint 2013.

Thanks!

Friday, May 9, 2014 5:13 PM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your post, my understanding is that you wanted to map word attributes / fields to site columns.

You need to you define a word template to create a content type and define the specific columns.

There is an article for your reference, although it is about the SharePoint 2010, it is similar to SharePoint 2013.

http://www.ilikesharepoint.de/2013/07/sharepoint-connecting-metadata-in-office-documents-to-sharepoint-library-columns/

Best Regards,

Linda Li

Linda Li
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, May 12, 2014 5:54 AM
  • Hi Linda

It's not exactly what I'm looking for.

I understand how to make site columns and content type based on word. All this I can make work without any problem. BUT - the fields / metadata / attributes (or whatever it's called) that Word automatically maintains - that's the information I'm looking to extract and map into a sharepoint column.

A concrete example would be to extract the revision number of a document and map it to a column in SharePoint. How do I take this revision number out of word and map it to SharePoint? Please keep in mind that the revision number (along with other interesting information) is maintained by Word. So it's not a field that the user would enter a value into.

Thanks!

Monday, May 12, 2014 6:13 AM