After moving MOSS 2007 configuration DB, conflicting data in Central Admin RRS feed

• Question

• I recently moved our PORTAL_CONFIG configuration DB from one SQL server to another (via stsadm deleteconfigdb and stsadm setconfigdb).  I did not realize at the time, that these commands were deprecated.  After the steps completed, I ran the Configuration Wizard to finalize any updates.  I encountered a whole slew of problems which required me to recreate most of my web applications and redeploy my custom features.  That is all done and all sites are back up and running.  Here's the problem:

When I go to Central Admin>Operations>Servers in Farm, I see that the Config DB listed at the top is the one on the original server (original config db) BUT if I run the Configuration Wizard, it tells me the config DB is on the new server.  The servers listed do not match up.  How can I figure out which one is actually being used (other than shutting one DB down and seeing what happens)?  Also, any suggestions on how to correct?

In SSMS on both servers, I can see that both DBs have active connections which concerns me and makes me think somehow BOTH DBs are being used. 

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 6:32 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Sephiroth0327,

You can do it as the following .

Refer the farm to the new database server by creating a SQL Server connection alias.

a.Start the SQL Server Native Client Network Utility (%SYSTEM%\cliconfg.exe).

b.On the General tab, verify that TCP/IP is enabled.

c.On the Alias tab, click Add.

The Add Network Library Configuration dialog box appears.

d.In the Server alias box, enter the name of the current instance of SQL Server.

e.In the Network libraries area, click TCP/IP.

f.In the Connection parameters area, in the Server name box, enter the new server name and instance to associate with the alias, and then click OK.

g.Repeat steps a through f on all servers that connect to SQL Server.

Start the new farm by performing the following steps:

a.In the Services snap-in, start the following services:

Microsoft Single Sign-On service

Office Document Conversions Launcher service (optional)

Office Document Conversions Load Balancer service (optional)

Office SharePoint Server Search service

Windows SharePoint Services Administration service

Windows SharePoint Services Search service

Windows SharePoint Services Timer service

Windows SharePoint Services Tracing service

Windows SharePoint Services VSS Writer service (optional)

b.At the command prompt, type iisreset /start.

More about it, please refer to the following link

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc512725(v=office.12).aspx

Thanks,

Jack

Thursday, March 22, 2012 5:36 AM