Slow copying files to External USB drive RRS feed

• Question

• This is a problem that appears to have started after I installed Win 7 SP-1 on my Win 7 Professional Gateway laptop. When I try and copy a file from my hard drive to my Western Digital External USB 2.0 drive, it takes a long time. Windows indicates a transfer rate of between 7 KBS and 1 MBS. When I try to perform an image backup of the my HDD (app 66 GB), my Acronis True Image Home program indicates that it will take over 24 hours to complete - Windows Backup does nothing to indicate that it will be any faster.

When I first start up, or if I disconnect and reconnect the drive, I get a message in my notification area that the device will perform faster if I connect it to another port, and it show a list of 8 available ports. I am connecting directly to the built in USB 2.o port in the computer, although I have tried connecting to an external hub as well, with no success.

Device Manager shows 2 ATI I/O Communications Processor USB 1.1 OHCI controllers, followed by 1 ATI I/O Communications Processor USB 2.0 EHCI controller. Unfortunately, I don't know how to tell which, if either of these the drive is connected to.There are also a couple of Generic USB hubs, 3 USB Root Hubs, and, among other things, a USB Mass Storage Device which shows a location path of PCIROOT(0)#PCI(1300)#USBROOT(0)#USB(2)#USB(1) in the Properties...Location box.

Any help that anyone can give me will be appreciated in resolving this frustrating problem. Let me know if I can supply any additional information.

Windows 7 Professional RTM 2 GB memory 160 HD Networked (wired and wireless)Gateway Laptop HP Officejet 6310 All-in One inkjet printer Verizon FIOS Internet Connection
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 12:59 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Your system may be operating at USB 1.1 speeds. This may be due to an incorrect driver; I suggest you reinstall USB controller:

1.    Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl in the Open box, and then click OK.

2.    Click the Hardware tab.

3.    Click the Device Manager Button.

4.    Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.

5.    Right-click every device under the Universal Serial Bus controllers node, and then click Uninstall to remove them one at a time.

6.    Restart the computer, and then reinstall the USB controllers.

7.    Plug in the removable USB storage device, and then test to make sure that the issue is resolved.

If the issue still occurs, let’s boot in Safe Mode. In Safe Mode, system loads the minimum required basic device drivers and system services to start the system. Programs located in the Startup Program group are not started. There are fewer effects from software. If the issue does not occur in Safe Mode, we could confirm that the issue is caused by software conflicts.

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Monday, April 25, 2011 7:57 AM
    Friday, April 8, 2011 9:54 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Your system may be operating at USB 1.1 speeds. This may be due to an incorrect driver; I suggest you reinstall USB controller:

1.    Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl in the Open box, and then click OK.

2.    Click the Hardware tab.

3.    Click the Device Manager Button.

4.    Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.

5.    Right-click every device under the Universal Serial Bus controllers node, and then click Uninstall to remove them one at a time.

6.    Restart the computer, and then reinstall the USB controllers.

7.    Plug in the removable USB storage device, and then test to make sure that the issue is resolved.

If the issue still occurs, let’s boot in Safe Mode. In Safe Mode, system loads the minimum required basic device drivers and system services to start the system. Programs located in the Startup Program group are not started. There are fewer effects from software. If the issue does not occur in Safe Mode, we could confirm that the issue is caused by software conflicts.

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Monday, April 25, 2011 7:57 AM
    Friday, April 8, 2011 9:54 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.

A couple of questions:

1. Before I take these steps, should is disconnect all of my USB devices (Logitech USB device receiver, Bluetooth receiver, Logitech Speaker and USB Hub, External USB Drive)?
    2. When I reboot after performing these steps, should my devices be connected?

I plan to try this tomorrow and would appreciate your addition input before then.

Gateway laptop Windows 7 Professional SP1
    Friday, April 8, 2011 12:16 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for my delay response.

Before this test, please disconnect all connected devices.

When you reboot, to reinstall USB controller, connect your device to computer.

Alex Zhao

Monday, April 11, 2011 2:15 AM