Issue with exchange 2010 mailbox. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello guys and girls,

The mailbox is on a Exchange 2010 within a domain. The Domain has four servers, two of those exchange boxes both running Exchange 2010 v14.01

The two exchange servers are on seperate sites linked by a VPN connection.

I have a bit of an issue. Outlook 2010 junk mail filtering is repeatedly blocking an email address. IT was inititally blocked by mistake but then was removed from the block list and added to the whitelist. I added his email both by adding his entire email and his domain to the respective whitelists and yet it just keeps getting sent to junk regardless!

I've dropped junk mail filters to it's lowest possible setting and I still get the issue. Is there an text file somewhere that shows what emails are blocked, in the gui there is nothing I can only assume the gui isn't showing me everything.

The setup uses pop boxes from 1and1 which then download via a GFI pop connector to the exchange. I've checked the settings on 1and1 and it's deffinately not filtering anything and even IF it did it simply wouldn't arrive at the mailbox rather than go to the outlook junk box.

I was thinking the next stage is to create a new mailbox, export the contents of this one to a .pst and then import the info again to get around this but I'd prefer a fix rather than a work around.

I did ask the question origonally at the outlook 2010 forum but they are saying it's likely an exchange issue. here is my post there http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-outlook/outlook-2010-junk-mail-blocking-whitelisted-email/209aae94-7885-4958-a032-8ddbe4e3c35d?page=1&tm=1318437175334#footer

No edge server is installed and as far as I can see no anti-spam filtering is installed.

Cheers folks!

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 6:42 PM

Answers

• If the message is getting to outlook then I suspect outlook is moving the message to junk folder.  Outlook has it's own junk engine too and this could be the reason why.

Get the sender to send to another recipient and test.

For the problem user, what if you add this user to the safe senders list?

Sukh
    • Marked as answer by emma.yoyo Wednesday, October 19, 2011 1:37 AM
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 5:15 PM
  • What happens if you dont open the outlook and access email using the OWA and user received emai from same domain does it goes Junk E-Mail.

Just trying to see if the issue occurs if there is no outlook involved.

Jasjit Singh Dhindsa | ITIL v3 | IASA Foundation Certified | MCITP:Exchange 2010 | Exchange 2007 | MCTS:OCS 2007 | Exchange 2010 | Exchange 2007 | MCSA:Messaging | Security | MCSE:Messaging | Security | MCP
    Friday, October 14, 2011 5:20 AM

All replies

• Oh yeah, We do have GFI installed but any filtering done by GFI wouldn't result in mail going to the outlook junk folder, it'd be blocked and recorded within GFI dashboard and it would never reach the users mailbox.
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 6:45 PM
  • If the message is getting to outlook then I suspect outlook is moving the message to junk folder.  Outlook has it's own junk engine too and this could be the reason why.

Get the sender to send to another recipient and test.

For the problem user, what if you add this user to the safe senders list?

Sukh
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 5:15 PM
  • What happens if you dont open the outlook and access email using the OWA and user received emai from same domain does it goes Junk E-Mail.

Just trying to see if the issue occurs if there is no outlook involved.

Jasjit Singh Dhindsa | ITIL v3 | IASA Foundation Certified | MCITP:Exchange 2010 | Exchange 2007 | MCTS:OCS 2007 | Exchange 2010 | Exchange 2007 | MCSA:Messaging | Security | MCSE:Messaging | Security | MCP
    Friday, October 14, 2011 5:20 AM
  • Hi RShand,

Any updates?

Frank Wang

Monday, October 17, 2011 9:26 AM