Completely Confused... RRS feed

• Question

• Last night, I tried to hook my old Fostex MX-8 digital music recorder to my laptop that has WIndows 7 home premium.  The computer automatically began searching for the correct driver, but of course couldn't find it (this Fostex recorder is 10-12 years old, my laptop is 4).  So of course I began trying to find the right driver, and found a program "Driver Detective" online.  I read a few reviews and descriptions and figure what the hell I'll get all drivers updated or whatever.  Keep in mind, I am new to this stuff.

Anyways, I download Driver Detective, and an internet window pops up that says call this number to a service called LogMeIn to activate my new purchase.  Some guy with an accent answers, has me give him remote access, and then proceeds to tell me my computer is basically about to crash and burn in an apocolyptic fiery disaster.  He goes on and on for 45 minutes showing me on my own computer all this crazy stuff that I have no idea what it means.  He says that network security is turned off (which I'll get to later) and that is causing Windows not to recognize my Norton Internet Security (I have Norton 360), which in turn has allowed tons of "infections" to shut down almost half of my microsoft applications.....

This guy finally says I need a level 2 tech, and if I wanted one offline, it would cost me $389.99, but if I let him transfer me to HIS tech support people, it would cost $399.99 and I'd get all these extra benefits....This was where my red flag finally went up.  He was making his pitch hard, to which I said I don't have the money, and he said he'd call back in a few days.

What I want to know is: Is this LogMeIn tech support number that shows up when downloading Driver Detective for real? Can I believe anything he showed me that he SAID was on my computer?  Can this type of situation he told me be possible?

All I really want to be able to do is bounce WAV files from the recording device to my laptop so I can use my recording software to edit...I know I apparently have 12-15 outddated or not working drivers, which I think Driver Detective is fixing, but I'm at work so I don't know. I hit "FIX" before leaving and it looked like it was working. 

Somebody please give me some guidance here, do I need to call Geek Squad? I'm so lost and it's driving me crazy.

Thursday, February 6, 2014 7:11 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Driver Detective is a third party tool, and  LogMeIn is not a Microsoft support, they are not under the control of Microsoft, you should be careful when using this tool or contacting this kind of support, especially be seriously careful when someone want to remote access your PC, do not let anyone remote access your computer if you don't trust him (her), if what you want to do is to re-use the old music recorder, you can contact support of Fostex, check if they have drivers or needed manager software for this recorder, here is the support link

http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/tech_support/multitracker_software_updates.shtml#

NOTE This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites.

Regards

Yolanda
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by ZigZag3143x Friday, February 7, 2014 5:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by Roger Lu Monday, February 17, 2014 1:29 AM
    Friday, February 7, 2014 5:16 AM
  • Hello,

That is a typical scam. They normally access your computer, show you some errors in the event viewer and registry (which are pretty common and nothing to be worries about) and make you believe that your computer is infected. They will then transfer you to the next level to sort this out and the next level technician will ask you to pay for the service.

Please do not let them access your computer. They may install some rougueware on your computer.

If you need any help, please let me know.

Thanks!

Vineeth

Norton Support

Friday, February 7, 2014 6:33 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Driver Detective is a third party tool, and  LogMeIn is not a Microsoft support, they are not under the control of Microsoft, you should be careful when using this tool or contacting this kind of support, especially be seriously careful when someone want to remote access your PC, do not let anyone remote access your computer if you don't trust him (her), if what you want to do is to re-use the old music recorder, you can contact support of Fostex, check if they have drivers or needed manager software for this recorder, here is the support link

http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/tech_support/multitracker_software_updates.shtml#

NOTE This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites.

Regards

Yolanda
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by ZigZag3143x Friday, February 7, 2014 5:34 AM
    Friday, February 7, 2014 5:16 AM
  • Hello,

That is a typical scam. They normally access your computer, show you some errors in the event viewer and registry (which are pretty common and nothing to be worries about) and make you believe that your computer is infected. They will then transfer you to the next level to sort this out and the next level technician will ask you to pay for the service.

Please do not let them access your computer. They may install some rougueware on your computer.

If you need any help, please let me know.

Thanks!

Vineeth

Norton Support

Friday, February 7, 2014 6:33 PM