none
DPM 2010 and Tape Multiplexing (Simultaneously Writing to Different Tape Drives in the Same Library) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I wanted to find out if DPM supports writing to multiple tape drives that are part of the same library. Any limitations or gotchas to this? Can I, for instance, connect six tape drives from a tape large library to a single DPM host?

I understand that a given protection group will only write to one tape at a time... for the purposes of this question, assume I have a lot of protection groups, each of which is queued up to write to tape.

Thanks!
    Frank

Friday, December 17, 2010 6:37 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You can configure each PG to to write to one or more tape drives - that is called drive pooling.

Drive pooling - If the user specifies "drives allocated" as > 1 while creating the protection group, the data sources will be split across tapes. For e.g., 5 data sources and drive max limit 2 may write 3 data sources on one tape and 2 data sources on another tape. Depending on the size of the datasources, other scheduled backup jobs to tape in other protection groups, and the number of tape drives available at the time, you may find an uneven distribution of datasources going to the various tapes.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, December 17, 2010 10:07 PM