Windows Disable Automatic Update RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 10 technical preview.

I have enterprise edition of Win 10 for businesses. We have number of custom applications running 24/7. It is very critical not have windows restarted automatically at night after windows update. We need to have option to run windows update on demand.

When I go to the Windows Update setting the option to select update on demand is disabled. There is a message that setting could be changed by administrator. I have opened control.exe and wuapp.exe as administrator directly from the system32 folder, yet the option to change the windows update setting is still disabled.
    Wednesday, October 22, 2014 1:42 PM

Answers

• Microsoft has specifically stated that the preview build will automatically download/install updates - that's the price for having the preview.

More information here - one can safely assume that this automatic behavior won't carry over to the RTM version.

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 2:22 PM

All replies

• Hi Viktorka,

I've searched for solution to this problem too and did not find a solution.

Address your question to Microsoft support too.

• Proposed as answer by Deric Ferreira Wednesday, October 22, 2014 2:09 PM
    Wednesday, October 22, 2014 2:09 PM
  • Microsoft has specifically stated that the preview build will automatically download/install updates - that's the price for having the preview.

More information here - one can safely assume that this automatic behavior won't carry over to the RTM version.

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 2:22 PM
  • That's the price :(
    Wednesday, October 22, 2014 2:23 PM
  •  I use the non-Enterprise version, and I used regedit to change Windows Update from Automatic to Manual.

You may have to change my step by step a bit if you are using group policy editor.

Here is how I change Windows Update to Manual......

Open regedit >

expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

expand Software

expand Microsoft

expand Windows

expand CurrentVersion

expand Windows Update

click Auto Update

right side, Right click at AUOptions > Modigy > at the Value data box, change value from 4 to 3 > OK > do the same to CacheAUOptions.

That done, your Windows Update will change to "Download updates but let me choose whether to install them. "

Hope that is what you want.

• Edited by david hk129 Wednesday, October 22, 2014 2:33 PM
    Wednesday, October 22, 2014 2:32 PM