RSAT tool on non-domain Windows 8.1 COmputer RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed RSAT tools for Windows 8.1 on my client laptop.  My laptop is not a member of the domain that I would like to manage.

Our domain consists of a variety of servers (DCs, ADFS, Sharepoint) being hosted in Azure.

I am able to connect to the Domain Controller using Server Manager on my workgroup Windows 8.1 Laptop.  It seems I can connect via powershell from here and add roles and features.

My problem is that when I try to open Active Directory Users and Computers fro Server Manger I get this error

Naming information cannot be located for the following reason: The server is not operational.

~~~

Is it possible to manage AD users and computers from a non-domain computer?

Sunday, February 8, 2015 7:11 PM

Answers

• Hi PatrickOL,

Additional, please attention the managed server edition please, Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 8.1 can be used to manage some roles and features that run on Windows Server 2008 R2, but has limited functionality managing roles on servers that are running releases of Windows Server that are older than Windows Server 2012.

Please refer the following article to realize more detail requirement.

Remote Server Administration Tools (RSAT) for Windows Client and Windows Server (dsforum2wiki)

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/2202.remote-server-administration-tools-rsat-for-windows-client-and-windows-server-dsforum2wiki.aspx

I’m glad to be of help to you!

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Proposed as answer by Alex Lv Tuesday, March 10, 2015 1:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alex Lv Tuesday, March 10, 2015 1:46 AM
    Tuesday, February 10, 2015 7:39 AM

All replies

• This one may help.

https://joscor.com/2013/06/using-microsoft-rsat-from-a-non-domain-pc/

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Alex Lv Tuesday, February 10, 2015 7:22 AM
    Sunday, February 8, 2015 11:07 PM
  • Hi PatrickOL,

Additional, please attention the managed server edition please, Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 8.1 can be used to manage some roles and features that run on Windows Server 2008 R2, but has limited functionality managing roles on servers that are running releases of Windows Server that are older than Windows Server 2012.

Please refer the following article to realize more detail requirement.

Remote Server Administration Tools (RSAT) for Windows Client and Windows Server (dsforum2wiki)

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/2202.remote-server-administration-tools-rsat-for-windows-client-and-windows-server-dsforum2wiki.aspx

I’m glad to be of help to you!

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Proposed as answer by Alex Lv Tuesday, March 10, 2015 1:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alex Lv Tuesday, March 10, 2015 1:46 AM
    Tuesday, February 10, 2015 7:39 AM