locked
ApplicationTargetInPackage=False makes applcation fail on Citrix RRS feed

  • Question

  • We have several App-V 5 applications failing when launched by Citrix XenDesktop VDA. We have isolated the problem to all applcations containing

    ApplicationTargetInPackage=False

    in the manifest.xml-file.

    When ApplicationTargetInPackage=True the application launches correctly.

    What is setting the true or false value for this parameter?

    Tuesday, January 21, 2014 3:14 PM

Answers

  • Hello,

    The tag should indicate that the target of an application is within a package (true), or not (false).

    If it states false - I would assume that it would just create a shortcut to what it would expect to already exist on the machine (lets say - notepad.exe) with the switch /appvve.

    Then if notepad.exe doesn't exist on the machine - the startup fails.


    Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

    Tuesday, January 21, 2014 7:22 PM

All replies

  • Hello,

    The tag should indicate that the target of an application is within a package (true), or not (false).

    If it states false - I would assume that it would just create a shortcut to what it would expect to already exist on the machine (lets say - notepad.exe) with the switch /appvve.

    Then if notepad.exe doesn't exist on the machine - the startup fails.


    Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

    Tuesday, January 21, 2014 7:22 PM
  • Nicke, my man :)


    This is very odd. I opened up the App-V package in the Sequenser for editing. I made no changes but saved the package again. I extracted the manifest file from the appv-file and now the paramater is

    TargetInPackage="True"

    After upgrading the package on the app-v server it lunches perfectly on the VDA.


    This must be a bug in App-V 5 SP1??


    Wednesday, January 22, 2014 7:57 PM
  • Hello,

    I would sequence on App-V 5.0 RTM or SP2, not SP1 :)


    Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

    Wednesday, January 22, 2014 9:54 PM
  • I will def upgrade to SP2 after this... The thing is that this issue occurred before SP2 was released.
    Wednesday, January 22, 2014 10:01 PM
  • It is not an SP1 vs SP2 thing.  There is a bug in SP1 that will sometimes label an application incorrectly the TargetInPackage field of the XML file.  There is no doubt of that, SP2 will resolve.  The problem seems to be the way Citrix is reading the Manifest file.  If the application truly does not reside in the package (aka Microsoft Word) and you have the application published from App-V, Citrix will not load the Virtual Environment properly.

    Let me give an example.  I sequence an application called MathType.  This application has a GUI for part of the application.  The main parts of the Application are Word and PowerPoint plugins.  I have Office installed locally in my VDI/RDS systems.  I sequence the application with Office installed locally.  I launch a desktop to the VDI/RDS system and the application populates in the Start Menu appropriately from App-V.  This will work just fine with my shortcuts for "Word 2013 with MathType" or "PowerPoint 2013 with MathType".  I use Citrix and publish the App-V application from the Citrix methodology of finding the App-V applications.  The App-V application will now attempt to launch but Citrix will launch Word or PowerPoint without the Virtual Environment.  Both Office products do not know about the Add-in from the Virtual Environment.  When an application in the App-V package has the TargetInPackage set to False, you can look at the logs provided by Citrix and see that the application will never attempt to load the Virtual Environment.

    Now for the workaround:

    Publish the application to the Start Menu with App-V.  Look at the properties of the shortcut and you will see the target as "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\WINWORD.exe" /appvve:<GUID>

    Take this target and create a manual published application in Citrix XenDesktop giving it the above as the program and arguments.  Finish the publishing and everything seems to work without an issue at this point.  I foresee an app update may cause for the application to be republished, but until Citrix works this out, this seems to be the only way it works.

    Note:  I have not tried this with an Internet Explorer plugin, but I assume we will run into the same issue since it is launching IE from outside of the package

    Saturday, April 5, 2014 4:11 AM