none
Keep track of material resource usage RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I'm now starting to use Microsoft Project 2013 and I've a question regarding material resources.

Let us say that I'm to plan a bakery production. After cooking the bread the next task is to let them cool down. For that I use trays.

Assuming that:

- the cooking time is considerable lower than the cooling time;

- the number of available trays is large enough to become impractical to specify each one individually as a work resource but small enough to be the limiting factor of the process;

- after the cooling process, the used trays become available again.

Considering the above assumptions, I would like to keep track of the total number of trays in use so that I can plan the cooking tasks as function of the available trays.

Can I use the trays as material resources, define an initial number of available trays, assign the needed trays for the cooking tasks and then Project keep track of the quantity still available??

Best regards.

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 4:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

No, sorry.  Material resources are unlimited to Project, so you cannot define the initial number of trays.  You can tell how many trays are in use at one time in the Resource Usage view - but it will not know, nor alter you, if you have more trays assigned than you own.

The only way to be altered about a lack of resources is to use Work resources.

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 5:10 PM
  • Indeed despite the fact that you cannot set a maximum capacity for material resources, using material resources instead of work resources will not bring you more ease-of-use or convenience.

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 5:30 PM
  • The advantage of material resources is they will not artificially inflate the work value.  The OP can still track costs (if any) for the materials - can still view how many are in use - but cannot be alerted to an overallocation.
    Tuesday, January 7, 2014 6:15 PM