Old Exchange Server Removal RRS feed

• Question

• First I'd like to explain my situation. Bear with me.

It appears that the company moved from Exchange server 2003 to 2007 without removing the 2003 server from Active Directory. I can see the Server in Exchange System Manager and would like to remove it. I dont know what effect this will have on production (The server is no longer in use and is not turned on). If I remove the server from Exchange System Manager will it be removed entirely from Active Directory?

Also, when I create a new user in Active Directory it wants to create an Exchange Mailbox with this old server. I'd like it to ask to create a mailbox on our Current exchange server (2007). Is there any way to accomplish this in production? Any documentation you can forward my way would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Jake

Monday, February 20, 2012 1:59 PM

Answers

• Hi Jake

You will need to remove this server using ADSIedit.  This KB article has the details in the section "Remove the Exchange Server 2003 server from Active Directory": http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833396

Clearly the best method is to remove the Exchange server cleanly but this doesn't appear to be an option in your case.

Cheers, Steve

• Marked as answer by Maverick918 Monday, February 20, 2012 4:03 PM
    Monday, February 20, 2012 2:09 PM

All replies

• Check in Active directory any Old instant is present using ADSI.

Please follow the below link to understand this better.

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/remove-exchange-server-entire-exchange-organization.html

http://www.windowsitpro.com/article/exchange-server/how-to-uninstall-a-stubborn-exchange-server

Regards,

_Prashant_

MCSA|MCITP SA|Microsoft Exchange 2003 Blog - http://prashant1987.wordpress.com

Monday, February 20, 2012 2:08 PM
  • Hi Jake

You will need to remove this server using ADSIedit.  This KB article has the details in the section "Remove the Exchange Server 2003 server from Active Directory": http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833396

Clearly the best method is to remove the Exchange server cleanly but this doesn't appear to be an option in your case.

Cheers, Steve

• Marked as answer by Maverick918 Monday, February 20, 2012 4:03 PM
    Monday, February 20, 2012 2:09 PM
  • Exactly, Was done before I was hired. 

Do you know if this can be done during production? And how would I get Active directory to see my current Exchange servers? When creating a user Active Directory sees the 2003 box and not the 2007 Exchange servers. Is there a setting for this?

Monday, February 20, 2012 2:19 PM
  • After you have removed the server it will not appear as an option during the mailbox creation wizard.  If you expand CN=Servers,CN=2003ServerName,CN=InformationStore your will see the storage groups and databases there.

This is safe to do in production but make sure you have a good backup of your AD before deleting anything in ADSIedit. 

Monday, February 20, 2012 2:32 PM
  • Yes you can remove from ESM, right click the servername and wait for it to time out and click delete\remove. Sometimes it may fail from ESM and you will have to resort to deleting from adsiedit. Removing just the server object is "dirty" since it leaves all the backlinks to the server cn but it's nothing you can't clean up via adsiedit as you find them in the future.

James Chong MCITP | EA | EMA; MCSE | M+, S+ Security+, Project+, ITIL msexchangetips.blogspot.com

Monday, February 20, 2012 2:38 PM
  • Above is a picture of what I need to remove. The highlighted yellow is the Current deployment (which i dont want to touch) Below is the deployment I want to delete. That whole thing isn't needed anymore. The guides provided tell me to drill into it and delete the servers from inside that CN. However the whole CN is not needed anymore. Should I remove the whole thing or drill in and leave the rest?

Monday, February 20, 2012 3:06 PM
  • I also just found a connection from my current CAL server to the old 2003 box. If I delete the old 2003 box will this affect production? It is in the Routing Group under Connections.

Monday, February 20, 2012 3:11 PM
  • I normally just remove the server(s) as that is sufficient to stop replication errors and entries for old servers appearing in the EMC.

As you don't have that server then the routing group connector is not in use anyway.

Monday, February 20, 2012 3:20 PM
  • The ultimate goal of this is to get Active Directory to have the ability to create exchange mailboxes. Is there something I need to change to have the ability to do this?

Monday, February 20, 2012 3:27 PM
  • OK, I just re-read your question and I can see what you were trying to say.  You cannot create mailboxes in ADUC for Exchange 2007 and 2010 - this can only be done using the Exchange Management Console (EMC) or Shell (EMS). 

Monday, February 20, 2012 3:43 PM
  • I literally just read this on another site. Thats unfortunate for using templates. I guess I'll just have to right up a bunch of powershell scripts.
    Monday, February 20, 2012 4:02 PM
  • On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 13:59:22 +0000, Maverick918 wrote:

>First I'd like to explain my situation. Bear with me.
    >
    >It appears that the company moved from Exchange server 2003 to 2007 without removing the 2003 server from Active Directory. I can see the Server in Exchange System Manager and would like to remove it. I dont know what effect this will have on production (The server is no longer in use and is not turned on).

Can you turn it on? If you can, remove Exchange in the normal way
    through Control Panel.

>If I remove the server from Exchange System Manager will it be removed entirely from Active Directory?

That depends on what's still left in the AD. I've been able to remove
    servers like that (although that was long ago and far away), but
    others refuse to budge.

Sometimes the easiest (and surest) way, if the machine is no longer
    fuctional, is to reinstall the machine and Exchange and then remove
    Exchange.

Sure, you can start to nuke stuff from the AD, and maybe you'll get it
    done in a way that doesn't leave behind traces of the server, but
    that's not usually the best way to get 'er done.

>Also, when I create a new user in Active Directory it wants to create an Exchange Mailbox with this old server. I'd like it to ask to create a mailbox on our Current exchange server (2007). Is there any way to accomplish this in production?

What are you using to create the new mailboxes? EMS or EMC -- or are
    you still using ADUC?

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    Monday, February 20, 2012 10:30 PM
  • On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 15:06:12 +0000, Maverick918 wrote:

>Above is a picture of what I need to remove. The highlighted yellow is the Current deployment (which i dont want to touch) Below is the deployment I want to delete. That whole thing isn't needed anymore. The guides provided tell me to drill into it and delete the servers from inside that CN. However the whole CN is not needed anymore. Should I remove the whole thing or drill in and leave the rest?

DO NOT REMOVE THAT ADMINISTRATIVE GROUP!!!

All your old mailboxes had the legacyExchangeDN name that includes the
    old AG.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    Monday, February 20, 2012 10:32 PM
  • That whole thing isn't needed anymore.

Hopefully Maverick918 will read Rich's last post in time...

Somehow that AG is still used by Outlook for delegate access so if it's deleted, Outlook cannot find the delegates.

Exchange 2010 Best Practices (Jagott and Stidley, page 664).

(Needing to keep that group around sounded familiar).

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 12:22 AM