none
Client payments RRS feed

• Question

• I am new to using Project and I am wanting to setup the payments a client makes through out the projects term, for example an initial payment then 3 equal payments a week apart. I am using Project Professional 2016. 

Thanks

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 9:44 AM

All replies

• OK. The easiest way to do this is to create the "events" with 0 duration (they are not really "tasks' but that doesn't matter) and then assign negative $ amounts to the fixed cost field in the cost table.

Whether the events should be recurring tasks a week apart, or whether they should be linked to predecessors which are precedent to the claim, depends on the particular circumstances.

Are you in Australia (of course you are), and where?

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 10:23 AM
  • I am in the Wide Bay area of Queensland. So in other words with a 0 duration they are marked as milestone??? Sorry but as I said I am lost using this program lol
    Wednesday, December 2, 2015 10:36 AM
  • You are not in my neighborhood so we can't meet, which would have made this a lot easier.

Well, yes they are milestones because they have 0 duration. That's all a milestone is, nothing special apart from that.

Do you have costs on the tasks as a result of having cost (std rate) on the resources?

Progress payments are just negative costs.

If you are in the building industry, your claims are probably only able to be submitted after certain tasks are complete, then the payment probably does not occur until 30 days later, so you should have the claim events as well as the payment event for each claim linked as a predecessor with lag. If you have progress payment events as -$ in the fixed cost field occurring late, ie no earlier than 30 days after the claim, and incur costs as the tasks are done, then you will have a conservative cash flow projection.

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 12:09 PM
  • Yes I do have costs std rate for the people working on the project, it is just a fictional project to try and learn Project. It is all working out but somehow I am $30 over my budget hahaha but that is not a problem at the moment. If you like I can send my file to you and you can pick it to pieces if you like :) any comments/hints would be much appreciated. 
    Wednesday, December 2, 2015 12:41 PM
  • I have had a few local people trying to help me understand Project, but out of the 4 only one has an idea and even they do not like project lol. They also do not like the way I made a recurring task of the meetings saying that they should just be made a task on the right day because once you get to the 2nd page of the project plan they are not seen. So really I have been bashing my head up against a wall trying to get a handle on the program, that is why I have come here now :)
    Wednesday, December 2, 2015 9:14 PM
  • email me trevorATperfectproject.com.au
    Wednesday, December 2, 2015 9:53 PM