Looking for a Microsoft solution for desktop and/or application virtulization at a medium sized business RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all

I work at a medium sized financial company with a central office and several branch offices.  I would like to investigate options Microsoft has that would improve operations for our employees.  We use VMware 5.1 for our server infastructure and have been looking at desktop virtualization options like VMware View for our customer service departments.  We are currently running Citrix 4.5 with Neoware thin clients but we'd like to move away from that platform.  There are a few unique challenges such as having to make signature pads connected via serial port and/or USB work in multiple applications and legacy software that we must continue working with for now.  I am looking for features like being able to centrally manage multiple desktop images, simple desktop interaction with the end user for support, easy updates, backups, restores, and recovery, and efficiency that will allow the systems to be run and managed remotely over a T1 for up to a dozen users.  We have a 2008 R2 domain with about 100 users total.  I would very much appreciate your thoughts on what has worked for you personally or ideas you may have come across.  Thanks!

Dan

Sunday, April 21, 2013 6:16 PM

Answers

• I think you are asking in the wrong place sir. This topic is MED-V which is a Desktop Virtualization solution which is specifically for Windows 7 migrations to aide with application compatibility, it is not a fully fledged long term virtualization solution.

If you are a medium sized business with 2008 R2, have you considered using RDS? Or possibly a Hyper-V environment?

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

• Marked as answer by Dan_Brown Wednesday, April 24, 2013 7:05 PM
    Wednesday, April 24, 2013 5:36 PM

All replies

• Anyone?

Dan

Monday, April 22, 2013 2:44 PM
  • I think you are asking in the wrong place sir. This topic is MED-V which is a Desktop Virtualization solution which is specifically for Windows 7 migrations to aide with application compatibility, it is not a fully fledged long term virtualization solution.

If you are a medium sized business with 2008 R2, have you considered using RDS? Or possibly a Hyper-V environment?

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

• Marked as answer by Dan_Brown Wednesday, April 24, 2013 7:05 PM
    Wednesday, April 24, 2013 5:36 PM