VM not able to join domain while deployed through SCCM 2012 SP1 RRS feed

• Question

• smsts

Hi,

I am facing issue of domain join while performing OSD in a fresh VM using SCCM 2012 SP1. The VM fails to proceed after Device driver Phase.  I have checked the network access account and client push account credential, they are correct.

I have tried OSD with Win7 and Win8 but both of them gave the same error. I have gone through the smsts logs and found out that there were two errors

"401: authentication failure on request with anonymous access retrying with context credentials"

"401: authentication failure on request with anonymous access retrying with supplied credentials"

I am using the DC and DHCP which was earlier used for SCCM 2007 and SCCM 2012. The container is same for both. Although i have removed the SCCM 2012 site and roaming profile which was earlier used and also deleted the files created by the site inside the container but it doesn't seem to be any good to this issue. Can anyone help me with this issue as i cant find any other issue in SCCM and SQL. SCCM Client is also working fine after joining the VM to the domain manually.  i have attached the error found in smsts.log

Thanks

Parth

Monday, October 7, 2013 5:39 AM

Answers

• Thanks Everyone

I got this issue resolved actually i have entered computer container in domain join step so the machine was not joining the domain as it was searching for the OU and it was not able to find one. As i have not left it blank so it was not going to default location.

Gone through the netstate.logs and found out this issue and made changes in OU step and it worked for me.

• Marked as answer by Joyce L Monday, October 21, 2013 6:27 AM
    Wednesday, October 9, 2013 5:43 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I would start by checking the Domain Join account account/password if you cannot join the domain, the errors you are seeing in the log file above is normal.

You can also check the Netsetup.log file for errors when joining the domain.

Regards,
    Jörgen

-- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

Monday, October 7, 2013 7:16 AM
  • Hey Jorgen,

Thanks for the reply. I have checked the credential and it is working fine and i am able to join the machine to domain manually using the same credential which i have entered in the Task Sequence.

Thanks Parth

Monday, October 7, 2013 7:53 AM
  • Does the join account have the correct permissons on the OU where you are joining the machines?

John Marcum | http://myitforum.com/myitforumwp/author/johnmarcum/

Monday, October 7, 2013 1:50 PM
  • Hey john,

I have used the same account earlier with other sccm server and it worked well for me. The account is having all the rights required. 

I think the issue is something related to AD as i have a container named system management and have used this container for sccm 2007 than sccm 2012 and now using the same container for sccm 2012 sp1. Although i have deleted all the earlier entries created by other SCCM but still the issue persist. I am not able to figure out what the issue exactly is.  I am very sure about the credential part.

Thanks Parth

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 5:52 AM
  • You can also check the Netsetup.log file for errors when joining the domain.

Have you already checked what Jörgen suggested?

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 7:38 AM
  • Is the old SCCM 2007 environment still up and running? If so it will automatically re-populate the system management container. However that shouldn't have anything to do with this issue. As the others said, check the netsetup.log.

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 12:14 PM
  • Hey Jorgen,

I have checked the Netsetup.log and found out that i have entered computer as a OU but in logs it says that computer is not an OU. I thought that when the machine entry goes to computer by default than we can mention that as OU in domain join step. But it seems that this is the issue. I am going to create a new OU and add it to domain join step in TS and check whether it works or not. Will update if it shorts out the issue.

Thanks,

Parth
    Tuesday, October 8, 2013 12:23 PM
  • The built-in Computers location where machines go by default is a container not an OU. If you want machines to go there you don't need to specify anything.

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 12:28 PM
  • Thanks Everyone

I got this issue resolved actually i have entered computer container in domain join step so the machine was not joining the domain as it was searching for the OU and it was not able to find one. As i have not left it blank so it was not going to default location.

Gone through the netstate.logs and found out this issue and made changes in OU step and it worked for me.

• Marked as answer by Joyce L Monday, October 21, 2013 6:27 AM
    Wednesday, October 9, 2013 5:43 AM