none
Recovery Points Question RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

What is the difference between Application Recovery points and File Recovery points?

Reason for my question is....

I've created a PG which includes VM's, Exchange 2010, SQL and file shares. I've set the Sychronization frequency to 'Just before a recovery point', the File recovery points are every 3 hours between 08:00-20:00 and I've set the Application receovery points to be every 3 hours between 08:30-20:30.

My line of thought being, the files shares back up at 8:00 and then 30 mins later the exchange & SQL databases backed up but when looking in monitoring tab i see two jobs for exchange, one at 8:00 and another at 8:30, same goes for all the protected servers with the PG.

Lee

Lee

Monday, January 7, 2013 11:20 AM

Answers

• Hi For5six,

File Recovery points is for data that exists on a file server and which needs to be protected as a flat file qualifies as file data, such as Microsoft Office files, text files, batch files, and so forth.

Application Recovery points is for data that exists on an application server and which requires DPM to be aware of the application qualifies as application data, such as Exchange storage groups, SQL Server databases, Windows SharePoint Services farms, and Virtual Server (Hyper-V).

According to your settings:

## For file data:
    Sychronization frequency to 'Just before a recovery point'
    File recovery points are every 3 hours between 08:00-20:00
    You should have File Recovery Point at 08:00 11:00 14:00 17:00 20:00

## For Application data
    Application recovery points every 3 hours between 08:30-20:30
    You should have Application Recovery Point at 08:30 11:30 14:30 17:30 20:30

If your Exchange support incremental backup (Circular logging not enable) you should also have Exchange Recovery Point at 08:00 11:00 14:00 17:00 20:00. Same for SQL (if Full recovery mode).

You shouldn't mix different datasource in the same Protection Group, it could lead to confusion.

My advice is to create One PG for Exchange, one for VM, one for SQL and one for File. thus for each datasource you could define their own protection settings and Schedule.

Stephane

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

My DPM blog Yet Another DPM Blog

• Edited by Stephane LADUNE Monday, January 7, 2013 1:48 PM
    • Marked as answer by Lee Broad Wednesday, January 9, 2013 12:16 PM
    Monday, January 7, 2013 1:46 PM

All replies

• Hi For5six,

File Recovery points is for data that exists on a file server and which needs to be protected as a flat file qualifies as file data, such as Microsoft Office files, text files, batch files, and so forth.

Application Recovery points is for data that exists on an application server and which requires DPM to be aware of the application qualifies as application data, such as Exchange storage groups, SQL Server databases, Windows SharePoint Services farms, and Virtual Server (Hyper-V).

According to your settings:

## For file data:
    Sychronization frequency to 'Just before a recovery point'
    File recovery points are every 3 hours between 08:00-20:00
    You should have File Recovery Point at 08:00 11:00 14:00 17:00 20:00

## For Application data
    Application recovery points every 3 hours between 08:30-20:30
    You should have Application Recovery Point at 08:30 11:30 14:30 17:30 20:30

If your Exchange support incremental backup (Circular logging not enable) you should also have Exchange Recovery Point at 08:00 11:00 14:00 17:00 20:00. Same for SQL (if Full recovery mode).

You shouldn't mix different datasource in the same Protection Group, it could lead to confusion.

My advice is to create One PG for Exchange, one for VM, one for SQL and one for File. thus for each datasource you could define their own protection settings and Schedule.

Stephane

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

My DPM blog Yet Another DPM Blog

• Edited by Stephane LADUNE Monday, January 7, 2013 1:48 PM
    • Marked as answer by Lee Broad Wednesday, January 9, 2013 12:16 PM
    Monday, January 7, 2013 1:46 PM
  • Thank you

Lee

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 12:17 PM