none
Authenticator app RRS feed

• Question

• This Authenticator IDEA (It sure can't qualify as an app) is stupid, counter-productive and so full of bugs and errors it is worse than worthless. It is a productivity killer. Your ineptness has cost me thousands of dollars in lost time.  I login to see this bullshit has been going on for over 18 months. BEYOND UNACCEPTABLE - IT IS RAMPANT IMCOMPETENCE!!!!! 

MICROSOFT if I could dump your sorry ass it would already be done. Your people are unprepared, defensive and dsyfunctional and your idea of password management is so error laded

Why am i wasting my time?

Thursday, June 21, 2018 3:59 PM

All replies

• I have been receiving notifications asking me to sign up for this app.  So far I am very wary of signing up for it because it appears to create more problems than it solves. So far I have seen no video showing how this thing is supposed to function - I would want to see such a video before adopting the system (a full detailed video presentation, not just text). 

Full Disclosure: I am working in an environment which does not use a server for authentication, so some of the issues described below may have alternate solutions in a corporate setting.  

Obviously Microsoft is trying to make logon more secure.  I am participating in other schemes like this which provide 2-factor authentication (or other more secure logon) to replace traditional logon.  The best version I've encountered is provided by the Bank of America website.  But these are websites, not computer operating systems. Bank of America allows you to use a credit-card-like device OR your portable device to generate the second tier logon code, so that if your portable device is not working you can use the card instead.  

The Microsoft Authenticator idea has the additional problems: 1. Computers are maintained locally - our company or my responsibility as opposed to someone else's (like Bank of America) responsibility.   2.  It seems to me that, if my computer crashes and I loose all the data, this system seems to make it a degree of magnitude more difficult to recover. 3. Authenticator apparently cannot be used if I do not have a device which supports the authenticator - therefore I am required to purchase another expensive device (Microsoft does not provide it) and if my device subsequently stops working it becomes an extreme emergency.  (my code-generator card from BofA only costs $25 and only if I loose it;  Microsoft apparently provides NO such alternative).  

Since I've started using Windows 10 three years ago. I have come very close to loosing my OS about 5 times.  I actually did loos the system once but was able to recover from a full-image backup.  I can't imagine having to worry about whether I could log on to the recovered system to test it. 

Since I might be unable to log on the the computer if the Athenticator failed, how the hell would I engage MSDN support to assist me with the problem since that requires that I log on?!  

So at a minimum it would be nice if the Authenticator could be disabled by an administrator so that logon could proceed without authentication.  That would allow system backups to be recovered and tested before re-enabling the Authenticator.   In addition there should be a way MSDN support can access the computer from the internet to disable the Authenticator for maintenance. 

Tuesday, October 2, 2018 4:50 AM
  • I would read the instructions more closely. 

1 - This will work on any phone. No extra device to buy.

2 - One of your Admins must have set this up as MS does not force you to use it. Somehow, somewhere you account is being tied to O365 or Azure AD (same thing actually).

3 - Also, it can be set up to only require it for certain conditions.

4 - When you configure it you can also set alternative methods like SMS, a phone call or even an email to an alternate address.

5 - Talk to your Admins. It is them not MS that has turned this on.

Tuesday, October 9, 2018 10:30 PM