Intermittent display issue when opening an email on Outlook 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Has anyone seen this problem before in Outlook 2010, where an email will open full screen but the message body and headers (along with the scrollbar) will display on one side of the window, with a large grey space on the right hand side of the window. (I'll post a screenshot when my account gets verified.)

The problem only happens intermittently and from random senders (internal and external) , and when it does happen the window is unresponsive, except to when closing it. After you close it, you can reopen the same email without any issues.

I've tried resetting the views, opening Outlook in cleanview and recreating the Outlook profile but to no avail.

Thanks,

Gordon

• Edited by Gordon_PM Wednesday, June 28, 2017 3:13 PM
    Wednesday, June 28, 2017 2:53 PM

All replies

• Hi Gordon,

Please try to upload the screenshot to OneDrive (https://onedrive.live.com/) and share the link here for more information.

It is weird. The issue also happens intermittently which results in hardly narrow down the root cause about it. I suggest we can try running Outlook in safe mode to confirm if the issue is third-party add-in related. To start Outlook in safe mode, please Press Win+R to open Run in Windows, type Outlook /safe, press Enter. Confirm if the issue can be reproduced in safe mode.

If no issue in safe mode, we can click File > Options > Add-ins, select Manage COM Add-ins, click GO, uncheck all add-ins listed there. Restart Outlook normally to have a try.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to <strong>mark the replies as answers</strong> if they helped. <p></p> <p>If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact <a href="mailto:tnmff@microsoft.com"> tnmff@microsoft.com</a>.</p>

Thursday, June 29, 2017 8:59 AM
  • Hi Winnie,

Unfortunately, links cannot be posted either until verification, so apologies for this:

1drv.ms/i/s!At7brH_44UvKggsjuAmsukjgqpBc (add the "https://" at the front).

My company relies heavily on add-ins, so I've disabled the ones that I do not recognise or do not appear on other user's machines.

Regards,

Gordon

Thursday, June 29, 2017 9:52 AM
  • Hi Gordon,

I noticed that there is a WorkSite Email Management used in your Outlook 2010. Please follow my steps above for add-in checking, confirm if any add-in is related to WorkSite E-mail feature used in Outlook. Also confirm if iManage FileSite add-in for Microsoft Outlook is used.

Disable all to have a try. Also confirm if the add-in or mail-scanning programs is installed on the computer.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to &lt;strong&gt;mark the replies as answers&lt;/strong&gt; if they helped. &lt;p&gt;&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact &lt;a href=&quot;mailto:tnmff@microsoft.com&quot;&gt; tnmff@microsoft.com&lt;/a&gt;.&lt;/p&gt;

Thursday, June 29, 2017 10:05 AM
  • Hi Winnie,

Unfortunately, getting the affected user to work without Worksite was not possible as it is a big part of her job, and it is an add-in used by everyone in the company.

We use Mimecast for email scanning so I did temporary disable the add-in for that but to no avail.

Regards,

Gordon

Thursday, July 6, 2017 11:19 AM
  • Hi Gordon, 

We need to disable the Worksite and all other add-ins temporary for further troubleshooting including disabling any mail scanning program.

If you insist using the WorkSite, please make sure you have installed the latest updates for Office and this add-ins. Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features, select Office 2010, click Change > Repair to have a try.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 2:03 AM