ACPI error RRS feed

• Question

• Alright. I am not sure if this goes here or not. Not really have the hang of the forums. But I bought Windows Vista Home Basic. And I have Windows XP. When I try to download it. Before it does anything. It comes up with this message.

This computer is not compliant with the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) standard. Windows must be installed onto a computer that supports ACPI. Contact your computer manufacturer for a BIOS update or install Windows on an ACPI-compliant computer.

I have tryed to download BIOS updates. But maybe I did it wrong. My motherboard is a Biostar P4M80-M4. I had to redo my computer. Because the other motherboard got hit by lightning. I would very much appreciate someone helping me with this. Thank you.
    Monday, July 14, 2008 5:05 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for your clarify. I understand that the ACPI is set as ON already.

At this time, let’s confirm the ACPI setting in Windows Vista.

1.Right click on “Computer” and select Properties from the context menu

2.Click Advanced system settings, Select the Hardware tab

3.Click the 'Device Manager' button

4.Expand the Computer object

5.Its type will be shown, probably 'Standard PC' (if it says (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC then ACPI is enabled already)

If the setting is fine. In order to troubleshoot this issue efficiently, please help me confirm the following points:

1.What software you are downloading?

2.Could you send a screenshot for this issue?

How to capture a screenshot

======================

1. Press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard when the error appears.

2. Click "Start", type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.

3. In the Paint program, click the "Edit", click "Paste". Then click the "File" menu, and select "Save".

4. The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot1".

5. Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click "Desktop" on the left pane and then click "Save".

Please upload the file to the following link:

https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=d22c1ec3-71f4-4927-89f2-463d3b954be4

The password: DNvxb!eJV+M_H

I will perform a further research on the issue after receiving the file.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Thursday, July 17, 2008 9:40 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Before moving on, please allow me explain background regarding ACPI.

ACPI is an open industry specification that defines a flexible and extensible hardware interface for the motherboard. Software designers use this specification to integrate power-management features throughout a computer system, including hardware, the operating system, and programs. This integration enables Windows to determine which programs are active, and to handle all of the power-management resources for computer subsystems and peripherals.

For more information:

Overview of Advanced Power Management (APM) and Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310752/en-us

Please understand that ACPI is a BIOS setting. You need to change it within the BIOS. Normally, it is under “Power Management”. If it not there, please check your hardware documentation and contact your hardware manufacturer to change it.

Please note Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) that is installed with the Windows is different between ACPI and non-ACPI. If you change the non-ACPI option to ACPI, the current Windows XP will cease to work correctly. You need to cleanly install the Windows Vista after you set it to ACPI in the BIOS.

Given the situation, I suggest you backup your data before changing ACPI settings in BIOS.

At last, please refer to the following Knowledge Base article to install Windows Vista:

How to install Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918884

hope it helps.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 9:53 AM
  • Alright. Thank you for your help. But my ACPI is on. I checked my BIOS. Before I even posted this. So I don't really know whats wrong with it. I had enough space for it to download into. It still comes up when I try to download it. Should i try reformating and then doing it?
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 10:13 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your clarify. I understand that the ACPI is set as ON already.

At this time, let’s confirm the ACPI setting in Windows Vista.

1.Right click on “Computer” and select Properties from the context menu

2.Click Advanced system settings, Select the Hardware tab

3.Click the 'Device Manager' button

4.Expand the Computer object

5.Its type will be shown, probably 'Standard PC' (if it says (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC then ACPI is enabled already)

If the setting is fine. In order to troubleshoot this issue efficiently, please help me confirm the following points:

1.What software you are downloading?

2.Could you send a screenshot for this issue?

How to capture a screenshot

======================

1. Press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard when the error appears.

2. Click "Start", type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.

3. In the Paint program, click the "Edit", click "Paste". Then click the "File" menu, and select "Save".

4. The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot1".

5. Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click "Desktop" on the left pane and then click "Save".

Please upload the file to the following link:

https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=d22c1ec3-71f4-4927-89f2-463d3b954be4

The password: DNvxb!eJV+M_H

I will perform a further research on the issue after receiving the file.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Thursday, July 17, 2008 9:40 AM
  • help .i've got the same error but my msinfo says that the

acpi is off what can i do ??

tyrocale@msn .com

Thursday, August 28, 2008 11:55 AM