none
Error Attaching Agent in DPM2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I'm running DPM2010 RTM and trying to attach the agent that was manually installed on an Exchange 2010 server running on Win2008 R2.  The agent installed as expected manually on the exchange server.  However, when I try to attach it in DPM2010, I get the error below:

Attach protected computer SERVERNAME failed:
    Error 31144: The server SERVERNAME could not be found in Active Directory.
    Recommended action: Ping this server to verify that it is accessible and then retry the operation. If the server is accessible, verify that the DPM service is running and that the current user has a domain account and is a member of the local administrators group. If the problem persists, contact your DPM administrator.

Now the server is in AD, otherwise it wouldn't be listed in the available servers for agent installation.  It is also pingable from the DPM box and the account I'm using to deploy the account is both a Domain Admin and local admin on the exchange server.  The DPMRA service is running (I started it) and that is the only DPM service running on the exchange box.

Any ideas as to how to resolve this issue?

• Moved by Praveen D [MSFT] Tuesday, July 20, 2010 5:47 AM Moving to DPM Setup Forum (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Friday, July 2, 2010 8:42 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Try using the dsquery utility on the DPM server and see if can find the exchange computer in AD.

dsquery computer -name <exchange_name>

You can also try running the power shell script: attach-productionserver and fill in the prompts to see if that gives different results.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, July 2, 2010 9:41 PM
  • Hi Mike,

dsquery finds the server perfectly well.  running the PowerShell script returns the same error too, so flat out of ideas.

Friday, July 2, 2010 11:18 PM
  • Just for grins, try the power shell command again and try using FQDN when asked for the PSname.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, July 2, 2010 11:38 PM
  • same results using FQDN for both DPM server and Protected Server
    Friday, July 2, 2010 11:49 PM
  • Hi MSFT guys - any ideas on resolving this error please?
    Monday, July 5, 2010 10:15 AM
  • surely you guys must have some idea what the issue is here please?
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 2:20 PM
  • Do you have other PS working fine ?  Is it only this one Exchange server having this problem ?
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 4:01 PM
  • Please check this http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;978900
    -- Thanks Venkata Praveen[MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 5:41 AM
  • It is strange that dsquery works but attach fails. The error can occur when a LDAP query from the DPM to the GC fails. Can you please paste ipconfig/all from the DPM & also the Exchange server?

Also, please check if all & only valid entries for GC are there in DNS. Sample my output where I have only one GC:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin>nslookup
    Default Server:  CKDC1.CKDPM.local
    Address:  10.128.17.5

> set type=SRV
    > _gc._tcp.ckdpm.local
    Server:  UnKnown
    Address:  10.128.17.5

_gc._tcp.ckdpm.local    SRV service location:
              priority       = 0
              weight         = 100
              port           = 3268
              svr hostname   = ckdc1.ckdpm.local
    ckdc1.ckdpm.local       internet address = 10.128.17.5

Saturday, July 31, 2010 10:38 PM
  • can you send the error logs located at <dpminstallpath>\temp\*.errorlog to chanchak[at]microsoft[dot]com
    -- Thanks Chandraneel Chakka[MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 11:17 AM