Appv package published to RDS 2012 not appears in RemoteApp list for publishing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using Appv packages on RDS2012. Few apps did appear in the list of RemoteApps for publishing as any local program (ex. Wordpad). So I could publish APPV app as RemoteApp.

Have an issue with new package...

The package perfectly delivered and run from the shortcut placed on RDSH desktop.

The problem that the shortcut for publishing is not in the  list. There are other shortcuts from the same APPV package.

See the pic please. I know that this could be addressed to RDS forum but, I decided to ask first here.

Finally, it is APPV thingy :)

Any advise?

Thx.

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

• Edited by pob579 Friday, May 29, 2015 9:39 PM typo
    Friday, May 8, 2015 6:33 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I suggest you determine if there is anything different with how this package was created and published compared to the other packages

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Saturday, May 9, 2015 9:03 AM
  • Exactly - Globally publish your packages.

Steve Thomas, Senior Consultant, Microsoft

App-V/MED-V/SCVMM/Server App-V/MDOP/AppCompat

http://blogs.technet.com/gladiatormsft/
    The App-V Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/appv/
    The MED-V Team Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/medv
    The SCVMM Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/scvmm/

“This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. User assumes all risks.”

Thursday, May 28, 2015 7:33 PM
  • One thing for sure... it is published globally and could not be something else because the package is published to computer group (workstations) and RDSH hosts group (RDSHs).

On RDSH desktop the app icon appears and the app works.

General info about package creation... Was nothing special. Just standard procedure.

I must to make it work. Temporarily delivered as a package to few computers that should get it as RemoteApp.

I will return to this in a few days and will start from scratch... just unpublish and publish again and try to compare closely. I believe the package itself is OK since there is no problem with publishing to PC.

Oohh,,, I think I have to compare root folders on package published to pc (workstation)and RDSH server...

Will let to know if I'll find something.

Thx.

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

Friday, May 29, 2015 10:45 AM
  • Today, I hit another app that behaves exactly like previous...

And now I think I found the difference...

Those two are Installed during sequencing not in Program Files but in c:\folder.

This is why it not appears in RemoteApp publishing list.

I probably would try to package the app in Program Files x86 and it could solve the problem.

In the mean time I asked on RDS forum how to publish this kind of app. There is an option on RDS that I am not sure of functionality.

What I see there is no problem for APPV package for apps installed in C:\folder but have negative impact for RemoteApp.

Hope I will figure it out.

Saturday, May 30, 2015 12:22 AM
  • Created new package, "installed" the app in C:\Program Files x86. (Used 5 sp3 sequencer)

The same result; package works fine on RDSH but not available for publishing as RemoteApp.

More info about supplier's installation procedure for workstation install:

1.  run setup from server share.

my note: there is no Path for program installation during setup just Next Next Finish.

2. create folder on C:\program_name

3. Copy 3 files from server share into the folder (step 2).

4. Create shortcut to executable from the folder (step 3).

So my expectation that folder placement in Program Files x86 will allow to have the app for RemoteApp failed.

As I told the package perfectly works on RDSH...

May be somebody here have an experience with this type of apps for RDS...

Will wait what RDS people will say. No answer yet...

Then, if could not solve it will contact Microsoft.

BTW, it works fine when publishing on Citrix. But the goal is to replace Citrix by RemoteApp.

And personally, I don't want to "pollute" my clean RDS deployment with installing apps on RDSH.

I want all Apps on RDSH in APPV format and nothing else...

• Edited by pob579 Saturday, May 30, 2015 2:16 PM
    Saturday, May 30, 2015 2:11 PM