When i try to install any os its showing grab error ? RRS feed

• Question

• recently downloaded unbuntu for a while to play around with the linux system while dual booting XP. I really didn't use it that much so decided that I didn't want most of my hard drive being wasted on an OS I really don't use anymore. So I just erased the old partition and used my recovery disc to reinstall windows as my main OS.

I was able to get the recovery cd to run, install but when I take the disc out to boot up windows I get the following message:

GRUB loading stage 1.5....
    GRUB loading please wait...

ERROR 22
    _

Then everything just stops at this point...?

Any help is much appreciated.
    Monday, February 21, 2011 5:18 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The Linux Bootloader has overridden the MBR.

Please runn the command  "Bootrec /fixmbr" in the WinRE Mode to check the result.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 6:26 AM

All replies

• i suggest you re-install linux so you can boot and back up you files from XP. then reformat/repartition your harddrive to reinstall XP
    Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"
    Monday, February 21, 2011 8:58 PM
  • Hi,

The Linux Bootloader has overridden the MBR.

Please runn the command  "Bootrec /fixmbr" in the WinRE Mode to check the result.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 6:26 AM