Moving Exchange Database and Storage Group to another drive volume RRS feed

• Question

• I have MS Exchange 2007 running on MS Windows Server 2008 R2. Everything is running with no problem. I would like to move the Database/storage group/etc to a larger drive volume. I have read about using the "Move database Path" wizard and that seems pretty straight forward. My question is, if I do this will it break mailbox connections? Meaning do I have to move each user's mailbox or will this wizard make the changes? 

Regards,

Mike

Friday, November 4, 2011 6:26 PM

Answers

• This will move all the user's mailbox to the new drive. I would do this off hours. Please test in a lab before proceeding.
    • Marked as answer by Jason LJS Friday, November 11, 2011 1:09 AM
    Friday, November 4, 2011 7:34 PM
  • How big is the database and how many SG?

As Jose said do it during off-peak hours.

I will make sure no is connected to the MBX server-

I will also make sure I have the database backup- you never what will break abut always have the backup.

Or you can start doing it one database at time and then test the mailbox then for the next mailbox.

Where Technology Meets Talent
    • Marked as answer by Jason LJS Friday, November 11, 2011 1:10 AM
    Friday, November 4, 2011 9:35 PM
  • My question is, if I do this will it break mailbox connections? 

Yes

And Jose is right to suggest you do this during off-hours  - or scheduled downtime.

Meaning do I have to move each user's mailbox or will this wizard make the changes?

Wizard will make the changes and update "pointers" in Active Directory pertaining to the location of the user's mailbox.

Just a note: with E2K10, you could, under certain conditions, move mailboxes while users are using them. Not with E2K3 and E2K7 though.

Friday, November 4, 2011 9:39 PM
  • It all depends on the number of mailboxes.

Moving a database saves time rather moving each individual mailbox.

Well in eX2010 you can move the mailboxes on the fly and users won't notice it. This is a big architectural change in 2010 and do remember that Outlook 2010 and Exchange 2010 all the connections are done via CAS server  and in other words there is no connectivity of Outlook to the Mailbox server if you have separate mailbox and CAS server.

again it your call and how you want to pursue.

Friday, November 4, 2011 9:51 PM
  • I have MS Exchange 2007 running on MS Windows Server 2008 R2. Everything is running with no problem. I would like to move the Database/storage group/etc to a larger drive volume. I have read about using the "Move database Path" wizard and that seems pretty straight forward. My question is, if I do this will it break mailbox connections? Meaning do I have to move each user's mailbox or will this wizard make the changes? 

Regards,

Mike

Yep, mailbox connection will be lost and a restart if Outlook will most likely be required.

You're moving the database path not the users, so the maiboxes will be on the same database so shouldnt have to update malboxex.

Sukh
    Friday, November 4, 2011 11:57 PM

All replies

• This will move all the user's mailbox to the new drive. I would do this off hours. Please test in a lab before proceeding.
    • Marked as answer by Jason LJS Friday, November 11, 2011 1:09 AM
    Friday, November 4, 2011 7:34 PM
  • How big is the database and how many SG?

As Jose said do it during off-peak hours.

I will make sure no is connected to the MBX server-

I will also make sure I have the database backup- you never what will break abut always have the backup.

Or you can start doing it one database at time and then test the mailbox then for the next mailbox.

Friday, November 4, 2011 9:35 PM
  • My question is, if I do this will it break mailbox connections? 

Yes

And Jose is right to suggest you do this during off-hours  - or scheduled downtime.

Meaning do I have to move each user's mailbox or will this wizard make the changes?

Wizard will make the changes and update "pointers" in Active Directory pertaining to the location of the user's mailbox.

Just a note: with E2K10, you could, under certain conditions, move mailboxes while users are using them. Not with E2K3 and E2K7 though.

Friday, November 4, 2011 9:39 PM
  • It all depends on the number of mailboxes.

Moving a database saves time rather moving each individual mailbox.

Well in eX2010 you can move the mailboxes on the fly and users won't notice it. This is a big architectural change in 2010 and do remember that Outlook 2010 and Exchange 2010 all the connections are done via CAS server  and in other words there is no connectivity of Outlook to the Mailbox server if you have separate mailbox and CAS server.

again it your call and how you want to pursue.

Friday, November 4, 2011 9:51 PM

Regards,

Mike

Yep, mailbox connection will be lost and a restart if Outlook will most likely be required.

You're moving the database path not the users, so the maiboxes will be on the same database so shouldnt have to update malboxex.

Sukh
    Friday, November 4, 2011 11:57 PM