Windows 10 compatibility with older games RRS feed

• Question

• Hay,

Older games such as "Croc: legend of the gobbos" does not seem to work in windows 10. This game and others have worked perfectly fine in previous versions of windows that I've had, that includes windows 2000 till windows 8. To be a little more specific, the game doesn't install at all, you can clearly see that the computer is working for about 3-4 to open the installer, but nothing happens. Once you press install, a process called "32-bit Setup Launcher" appears in task manager. (File location is C:\Windows\SysWOW64\InstallShield) - Setup.exe. Please correct me if I am wrong, but this is a feature in windows that makes you run various programs and games of 32-bit standard if you are on a 64-bit system.

I have tried lots of different solutions with running the program in different color depth and compatibility modes. But I do not believe this matters at all because the installer opens without a problem. It just wont proceed installing.

This might be more of a bug report rather than me asking a question (I am sorry for that). Happy for any feedback on this case will gladly provide more specific information if that is needed!

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 8:21 PM

Answers

• Hi Naomie,

It is best to contact the software manufacturer with this issue. I see this game was released in 1997 so hopefully they can still provide support. Running the installer in Compatibility Mode is what I would suggest but you have gone down that road. Did you try other versions of Windows in Compatibility Mode?

Note that TechNet is for IT Pro related questions. Consumer and gaming related questions are better suited for the Microsoft Community forums.

-

Hessam
    Windows Outreach Team- IT Pro
    Windows for IT Pros on TechNet

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 8:39 PM

All replies

• Hi Naomie,

It is best to contact the software manufacturer with this issue. I see this game was released in 1997 so hopefully they can still provide support. Running the installer in Compatibility Mode is what I would suggest but you have gone down that road. Did you try other versions of Windows in Compatibility Mode?

Note that TechNet is for IT Pro related questions. Consumer and gaming related questions are better suited for the Microsoft Community forums.

-

Hessam
    Windows Outreach Team- IT Pro
    Windows for IT Pros on TechNet

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 8:39 PM
  • Hi Naomie,

Was your issue resolved?

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 10, 2015 7:20 AM