With TechNet coming to an end I was wondering if anyone has found an alternative other than MSDN. Like many on this forum I'm a consultant that works on SCCM and other technologies in IT. When I have bench time or when trying to reproduce a client problem or even test out something I use a lab at home to keep an SCCM, SCOM, etc... environment going. Natually I used TechNet to get the software.
So far I've found the following, none of which really helps:
- Buy a subscription to TechNet and hope Microsoft comes to it's senses and brings it back or comes up with something else that works. FYI, I already have one, that expires in April, my boss is going to buy another subscription for us to keep us going the extra 5-6 months.
- MAPS is something that I'm not eligible because we have over 100 employees
- VL keys and software from corporate. We were told NO, don't ask again.
- Use the evaluation software, that's not an answer because it's all time bombed. I don't have the time to rebuild an environment each time I need to test something. Oh, and those evaluations are only as good as the shortest eval period, so if SCCM had a 6 month eval, that wouldn't do me any good if Windows Server is 30 days.
- Azure which would be really cool, I'd love not to have to upgrade and maintain equipment, unfortunately its too expensive for my needs. It also deosn't include the licenses to software if I understand all the legal stuff correctly.
Use the evaluation software, that's not an answer because it's all time bombed.
This is what Microsoft recommends as a "replacement" (I disagree). Please use the forum that Mike mentioned for further Technet related questions as this one is for ConfigMgr related questions only.
Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de