none
Cannot move mailbox from onprem to O365 using either Exchange 2010 EMC or 2016 EAC

Question

• Installing a new on-prem Exchagne 2016 to replace a 2010 box.  We are hybrid.

Trying to move a mailbox from 2010 server to Online using New Remote Move Request in 2010 EMC and I get the following:

Deserialization fails due to one SerializationException: System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationException: Unable to find assembly 'Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxReplicationService.comm, Version=15.0.0.0

When trying to move the 2010 mailbox from the 2016 EAC I get the following:

"The connection to the server 'mail.domain.com' could not be completed.

I can confirm on the 2016 box that EAC > Servers > Virtual Directories > EWS (Default Site) has "Enable MRS Proxy Endpoint" enabled.

It is also enabled on the 2010 box for the same virtual directory

Exchange 2016 is Running CU10

Exchange 2010 is Running Update Rollup 24 for Service pack 3.

This used to work flawlessly from the 2010 box and I cannot determine what has changed.

Wednesday, December 5, 2018 5:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Is it possible to provide full logs of failed request.

Also please share result of Test-MigrationServerAvailability command.

Issue can be caused by wrong Exchange certificate.

Thanks,

Ashish

Wednesday, December 5, 2018 6:27 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks,

Ashish

Apart from what Ashish said, also try to re-run the HCW.

I have heard that "adding the username and password (domainName\Admin) when entering the source forest information resolved the problem".

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, December 6, 2018 10:01 AM

• Apart from what Ashish said, also try to re-run the HCW.

I have heard that "adding the username and password (domainName\Admin) when entering the source forest information resolved the problem".

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

I have not run the HCW on the new 2016 box yet.  I have read forum posts of the HCW of other users stating the HCW was failing due to the inability to create the migration endpoint.  Since I believe I am having a related issue I assume I would have the same outcome.    

If I run the HCW will this alter mail flow in ANY way?    As far as I know HCW just allow you to configure your online configuration via the 2016 EAC.

Thursday, December 6, 2018 2:31 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks,

Ashish

Can you provide me with the full syntax for the Test-MigrationServerAvailability command?

Where can I find the logs you are requesting?

Thursday, December 6, 2018 2:31 PM
  • Get-moverequest -identity "test" | get-moverequeststatistics -includereport | fl >>C:\failedmove.txt

This will give save logs to failedmove.txt file.

You can share that file.

Thursday, December 6, 2018 2:35 PM
  • Get-moverequest -identity "test" | get-moverequeststatistics -includereport | fl >>C:\failedmove.txt

This will give save logs to failedmove.txt file.

You can share that file.

Thank you.

The move request does not exist.  I look in 2010 EMC > Recipient Configuration > Move Request and the mailbox that was being moved is not listed here.  

I ran the command and it states "Couldn't find a move request that corresponds to the specified identity"

Thursday, December 6, 2018 2:42 PM
  • Hi,

you can initiate move again and then can generate logs.

Thanks,

Ashish

Thursday, December 6, 2018 3:26 PM
  • Hi,

you can initiate move again and then can generate logs.

Thanks,

Ashish

I have attempted this multiple times via 2010 EMC and no more request log is ever created in 2010 EMC > Recipient Configuration > Move Request.

If I try to "Move mailbox to Exchange Online" from 2016 EAC  I get the error "The connection to the server "mail.domain.com" could not be completed.

Again in 2016 EAC > recipients > migration tab > There is no move request for this mailbox. Its like it never even gets far enough along to write the log.

Thursday, December 6, 2018 3:32 PM
  • Hi,

Connect to exchange online and run below:-

Test-MigrationServerAvailability -ExchangeRemoteMove -RemoteServer mail.domain.com -Credentials(Get-Credential)

(input the local Exchange Admin credentials).

It seems that connection in establishing to office 365 from exchange onprem.

Thanks,

Ashish

• Edited by Ashish Aryans Thursday, December 6, 2018 3:48 PM corrected command
    Thursday, December 6, 2018 3:47 PM
  • Hi,

Connect to exchange online and run below:-

Test-MigrationServerAvailability -ExchangeRemoteMove -RemoteServer mail.domain.com -Credentials(Get-Credential)

(input the local Exchange Admin credentials).

It seems that connection in establishing to office 365 from exchange onprem.

Thanks,

Ashish

Here is the output:

=====

RunspaceId         : c42deb28-3f08-45fa-9c13-b0af42d96b69
    Result             : Success
    Message            :
    ConnectionSettings : <ExchangeConnectionSettings HasAdminPrivilege="True" HasAutodiscovery="False" HasMrsProxy="True"
                         AutodiscoverUrl="" IncomingEmailAddress="" IncomingRPCProxyServer="mail.(domain).com"
                         IncomingExchangeServer="mail.(domain).com" IncomingNSPIServer="" IncomingDomain="(domain)"
                         IncomingUserName="(user)"
                         EncryptedIncomingPassword="lbxRHXa7zm6yft1ZXkPKIp16zMpr4vADM8BtMaRyBuLyhKCgLKFPnCSFu0jYqNDL"
                         IncomingAuthentication="Basic" ServerVersion="" TargetDomainName="" SourceMailboxLegDn=""
                         PublicFolderDatabaseServerLegacyDN="" IsPublicFolderMailboxesMigrationSource="False" />
    SupportsCutover    : False
    ErrorDetail        :
    IsValid            : True
    Identity           :
    ObjectState        : New

=====

In 2010 EMC if I enter the same credentials as above for "use the following source forest's credentials" I get the DeserializationError as mentioned in my initial post.

In 2016 EAC I am logging into the EMC using the same credentials.  However when have to "sign in to Office 365" as part of the move mailbox to Exchange online wizard those credentials do not work.  I have to use the user@(domain).onmicrosoft.com credentails which I dont understandy why . . .but regardless I get the error "Cannot connect to mail.domain.com".

On a side note when I run Get-WebServicesVirtualDirectory | fl server, mrs* from my 2016 box I get two servers that both show the mrs proxy is enabled.  The old 2010 box and the new 2016 box.  Do I need to disable the mrs proxy on the 2010 box.  Could that be getting in the way?

Thursday, December 6, 2018 4:58 PM
  • Yes, please. Disable mrs proxy on Exchange 2010 and then give it a try.
    Thursday, December 6, 2018 5:01 PM
  • Yes, please. Disable mrs proxy on Exchange 2010 and then give it a try.

Is the MRS proxy ONLY used for moving mailboxes from on-prem to online?  Will it impact anything else by disabling the mrx proxy on the 2010 box?

Thursday, December 6, 2018 5:02 PM
  • Hi,

There should be no issue.

Mailbox Replication Service(MRS) Proxy is used to enable option for Cross forest migration. It is very much required if you want to pull over your mailboxes to office365 or want to have Hybrid Exchange Forest where integrated with Exchange Online(Office 365).

But you have to restart mailbox replication service so please keep that in mind.

Thanks,

Ashish

Thursday, December 6, 2018 5:20 PM
  • Hi,

There should be no issue.

Mailbox Replication Service(MRS) Proxy is used to enable option for Cross forest migration. It is very much required if you want to pull over your mailboxes to office365 or want to have Hybrid Exchange Forest where integrated with Exchange Online(Office 365).

But you have to restart mailbox replication service so please keep that in mind.

Thanks,

Ashish

If I disable MRS on the 2010 box will it still allow me to create new Remote Mailboxes via the EMC?  Remember I have not run the HCW on my 2016 box yet.

Thursday, December 6, 2018 5:42 PM
  • When you run get-hybridconfiguration, do you see Exchange 2016 server. If not then don't disable MRS on Exchange 2010. Also what are your migration endpoint (get-migrationendpoint, run from Exchange 2016).

If you are not using Exchange 2016 in Hybrid then please disable MRS on Exchange 2016 and then try.

Also you should not use Exchange 2016 when defining migration endpoints.

Thanks,

Ashish

Thursday, December 6, 2018 5:48 PM
  • When you run get-hybridconfiguration, do you see Exchange 2016 server. If not then don't disable MRS on Exchange 2010. Also what are your migration endpoint (get-migrationendpoint, run from Exchange 2016).

If you are not using Exchange 2016 in Hybrid then please disable MRS on Exchange 2016 and then try.

Thanks,

Ashish

Get-HybridConfiguration only shows the details for my 2010 server.  

Get-MigrationEndpoint returns no results when run from the 2016 server.  I would imagine this is because we have not run the HCW yet on the 2016 box.

All mail is flowing through the 2016 box now but we have not yet ran the HCW on the 2016 box.

I disabled the MRS Proxy Endpoint for my EWS (Default Site) on the 2016 box. I then restarted the Microsoft Exchange Replication Service on the 2016 box. I ran IISRESET on the 2016 box.  I then restarted the Replication service on the 2010 box and tried the Remote move request again from the 2010 box.  Same "deserialization" error as mentioned in my first post.

Thursday, December 6, 2018 6:10 PM

Thanks,

Ashish

Get-HybridConfiguration only shows the details for my 2010 server.  

Get-MigrationEndpoint returns no results when run from the 2016 server.  I would imagine this is because we have not run the HCW yet on the 2016 box.

All mail is flowing through the 2016 box now but we have not yet ran the HCW on the 2016 box.

I disabled the MRS Proxy Endpoint for my EWS (Default Site) on the 2016 box. I then restarted the Microsoft Exchange Replication Service on the 2016 box. I ran IISRESET on the 2016 box.  I then restarted the Replication service on the 2010 box and tried the Remote move request again from the 2010 box.  Same "deserialization" error as mentioned in my first post.

You dont move mailboxes from the on-prem EAC, you do that from Exchange Online EAC or with powershell connected to Exchange Online. You also dont run "Get-MigrationEndpoint" from the on-prem servers, only against Exchange online.

What does this say when run Exchange Online?

Get-MigrationEndpoint |FL

See if you can create a batch migration in Exchange Online

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/hybrid-deployment/move-mailboxes

Thursday, December 6, 2018 6:26 PM
  • Hi,

Can you please try to move using powershell?

Here provide mrs server as your Exchange 2010.

$OnPremAdmin=Get-Credential

New-MoveRequest -identity "mailbox" -Remote -RemoteHostName mail.domain.com -RemoteCredential $OnPremAdmin -TargetDeliveryDomain “domain.mail.onmicrosoft.com” -mrsserver exchange2010

If still failed then we need to check mrs logs.

Thanks,

Ashish

Thursday, December 6, 2018 6:30 PM
  • Hi,

New-MoveRequest -identity "mailbox" -Remote -RemoteHostName mail.domain.com -RemoteCredential $OnPremAdmin -TargetDeliveryDomain “domain.mail.onmicrosoft.com” -mrsserver exchange2010

Thanks,

Ashish

Here are the results

Target user "(user)" already has a primary mailbox.

Thursday, December 6, 2018 6:46 PM
  • Hi,

Are you using on-prem exchange powershell or Exchange online powershell?

Please connect to Exchange online powershell and then run Get-MigrationEndpoint | fl

Check the account which is configured there under user name and make sure that exist.

Else you can skip setting up migration endpoint and then you can move.

Thursday, December 6, 2018 7:11 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks,

Ashish

Here are the results

Target user "(user)" already has a primary mailbox.

PLease look at what I posted above and use that doc to see if you can move a mailbox.

Thursday, December 6, 2018 7:57 PM
  • I can confirm the mailbox only exists on the 2010 mailbox server and not in Exchange Online.

Thursday, December 6, 2018 8:17 PM
  • I can confirm the mailbox only exists on the 2010 mailbox server and not in Exchange Online.

OK, still not seeing if you followed my advice above.

Friday, December 7, 2018 11:50 AM

Sorry I missed that part.

Here are the results from Get-MigrationEndpoint from Exchange Online:

====================

RunspaceId                             : 467cb557-3e7b-4d25-88cb-440636ec8b30
    Identity                               : Hybrid Migration Endpoint - mail.domain.com
    EndpointType                           : ExchangeRemoteMove
    MaxConcurrentMigrations                : 20
    MaxConcurrentIncrementalSyncs          : 10
    RemoteServer                           : mail.domain.com
    Username                               : (user)
    Port                                   :
    Authentication                         :
    Security                               :
    RpcProxyServer                         :
    AcceptUntrustedCertificates            : False
    ExchangeServer                         :
    NspiServer                             :
    UseAutoDiscover                        :
    MailboxPermission                      : Admin
    Guid                                   : 8eb67d57-1923-4ce3-b35b-045b47e225bb
    IsRemote                               : True
    SourceMailboxLegacyDN                  :
    PublicFolderDatabaseServerLegacyDN     :
    IsPublicFolderMailboxesMigrationSource : False
    DiagnosticInfo                         :
    IsValid                                : True
    ObjectState                            : Unchanged

====================

if I try the Mailbox move from EAC in Exchange Online i get the same "The connection to the server 'mail.domain.com' could not be completed."

Friday, December 7, 2018 3:31 PM

====================

Identity                               : Hybrid Migration Endpoint - mail.domain.com

====================

if I try the Mailbox move from EAC in Exchange Online i get the same "The connection to the server 'mail.domain.com' could not be completed."

What format is the Username that has permissions to move mailboxes ? Should be domain\user 
    Friday, December 7, 2018 3:51 PM

====================

====================

What format is the Username that has permissions to move mailboxes ? Should be domain\user 

yes, the format is domain/user.

Friday, December 7, 2018 5:57 PM
  • Please let me know if I have missed something.  

Thank you,

Friday, December 7, 2018 9:38 PM

====================

====================

yes, the format is domain/user.

Make sure that it is the user who created the Hybrid Setup.

The Connection to the Server could not be completed Migrating to Exchange Online

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Regards,

Manu Meng

Tuesday, December 11, 2018 2:56 AM
  • The hybrid setup has NOT been run yet on the 2016 side.   There is some separate concerns that running the HCW will modify our send/receive connectors so we are proceeding slowly with running the HCW until we fully understand what it is going to do.  We cannot have the HCW break our mail flow.

We used to be able to move mailboxes from our 2010 server to Exchange online but it appears that installing this new 2016 server has changed something that blocks us from using the EMC on the 2010 and does not allow us, so far, on the 2016 server.

I can confirm the user that is listed in the Get-MigrationEndpoint still exists.

Following that article I can confirm the same user is displayed here.  I tried to update the password, just to verify it was not incorrect, and I when I click save I get the same ""The connection to the server 'mail.domain.com' could not be completed."

Tuesday, December 11, 2018 3:04 PM