MAK use on OEM machines RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there. Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I'm not familiar with Microsoft forums.

I work for a laptop manufacturer, and we have customers asking us to provide a cloning solution for Vista. Basically, this means handing out our VLK/MAK which we are not permitted to do - instead each machine comes with its own key and license. This is great until you have 3000 machines and you need an IT resource to sit in front of them all and click through the sysprep setup!

As far as I can tell, the only solution is for the customer to obtain and use their own volume license solution. However, my question is - could they obtain a volume license key for these 3000 units without paying (much) for it, because these units each come with a Vista license? Then they could set up the multiple activation key inside sysprep and automate the activation (I think...)

Sorry but this is all a bit theoretical, firstly because I don't know Vista very well, and secondly because understanding Microsoft Licensing is more difficult than landing an Airbus on the Hudson...

Thanks for your help,

Chris
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 2:15 PM

Answers

All replies