none
Progress Bar - Gantt chart RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
     Just that the plan needs to be sent to customer. I have created a slave plan.
     From the original plan i have picked up START,FINISH,TASK_LEVEL_FIELD  (for this field a value between 1-100 is entered by the PM, just to show progress to the customer. During export I push these values to %Complete field)

During the import i map START=START1, FINISH=FINISH1, TASK_LEVEL_FIELD = %COMPLETE

Now after the import,  i save a local copy. So my local plan has only these 3 data columns. I modify the gant bars, to reflect START1,FINISH1. The catch is since i copied values from task level field to %complete, the progress bar doesnt appear In the imported plan. 

Please let me know to bring this up what can i do,if i simply edit progress bar to contain %complete it doesnt because it uses "ACTUAL START" and "COMPLETE THROUGH".

Thanks

mp

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 6:06 AM

All replies

• Max, I don't think [Complete Through] is a field that can be reference anywhere except in the Gantt Chart bar styles dialogue box (see http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/complete-through-task-field-HP045304923.aspx). If you can't rely on the one that is derived automatically you'll have to figure out a different way of representing progress bars. If you're populating the % Complete field, Project will be calculating something.

Perhaps you could fake a complete through date in a custom field deriving the value from [Actual Finish], [Start]+[Actual Duration] or [Status Date] .

Graham

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 3:44 PM
  • Thanks Graham,

But i am not clear on this formula. If my task level field is say Slave_Completethrough = [start1]+[Actual Duration]

Is this right, please let me know; basically my gantt bars are shown based on start1 and finish1 and the progress appears on that and not start and finish.

Please advise

Thanks

mp

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 5:28 PM
  • Max, As I read your question, you're trying to represent tasks in a Gantt Chart without using the Start, Finish or Complete Through values directly. It's easy enough to populate the Start1 and Finish1 fields and to use these for the normal planned duration of each task. The problem comes when you try to show the Complete Through value for tasks in progress because there is none calculated for the Start1-Finish1 dates. It's unusual to want to show a progress bar for anything other than the Complete Through date but here is one way you could try for calculating it.

Define a custom task date field (you may need to use something like Finish9 since you can't use Date1 in the Gantt Chart bar styles definition). The formula for this - which you will use in the Gantt chart bar definition as your new Complete Through - is   ProjDateAdd([Start1],[Actual Duration])

Be careful with split tasks as this formula takes no account of the time of the split.

If the above is not what you're after, I have mistaken your original question and need more info.

Graham

Saturday, February 23, 2013 4:41 AM