none
how to show 52 weeks to match fiscal year on mS Project 2013 timescale RRS feed

• Question

• Hi There,

I want to put weeks in one of the tiers of timescale. I want to see weeks from week 1 to week 52 starting from January 1 of each year. Weeks don't have to end on 52nd week and restart on next year as week 1; but this was my wishful thinking.

Basically our fiscal year is starting on January 1, 2014 and our accounting department every year shares the fiscal calendar with all of us. And we are supposed to refer to weeks by the week numbers. Example; we shouldn't say "week Jan 1, 2014" but we should refer to that week as "week 1 of 2014". Or instead of "Week of Feb 3 2014"; "week 6 of 2014".

Any advice on how to make our timescale show weeks not to start project start date but the fiscal year.

Thank you

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 10:37 PM

Answers

• Yes, you can do it but not completely. Double click the timescale, you will see Timescale dialog displayed. In the Middle Tier tab, change the label to "1, 2, ..., 52, 1, 2, ...". You can't add your own label like "Week 6 of 2014" but need to choose one from the label dropdown.

Sai PMI-SP, MCTS Project

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 2:36 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Couple of questions:

• Which version of project are you using?
    • Can you confirm that your fiscal weeks will start on 1 January, regardless of what day that is? So some years your fiscal weeks will run Wednesday to Wednesday, for example?

I've been working on a report for MS Project 2010 that would enable you to output the Task Usage or Resource Usage views to MS Excel timescaled by custom reporting periods, so you could define 52 custom reporting periods in a year, starting on 1 January, each with 7 days duration and you'd get an output that would align with the finance view of the world. You wouldn't be able to edit the timescaled data from MS Excel, but you would at least be able to view the data timescaled by the custom week definitions. Let me know if that's something that would be useful to you.

Also, I don't work with Project Server, but I'm aware that it also has functionality to enable you to define fiscal periods - I'm not sure if that could then be used to give you access to the timescaled data by these periods, but it's another avenue that could be explored:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/project-server-help/define-fiscal-periods-HA101834832.aspx

Thanks,

Andrew

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 11:49 PM
  • EROL-CSI,

Maybe I'm missing a subtle element of your question but it seems like you can get what you need by setting the first tier of the timescale to "years". Then set the second tier to "weeks" (I chose 1,2,3...52, 1,2...). Then if you want a third tier set it to "weeks" or "days". What you will see displayed in the two upper tiers is the year and week of the year, just what your accounting department wants to see.

Note, for 2014, week 1 will actually start Dec 30, 2013 but Jan 1, 2014 is "week 1 of 2014". If you want week 1 to actually start on Wednesday, January 1, 2014, to go File/Options/Schedule group and set the "Week starts on" to Wednesday.

I don't quite understand what "fiscal calendar" your accounting department is sharing with you. Since your fiscal year starts in January, it sounds like a regular calendar to me. However, if that fiscal calendar also defines financial accounting months (e.g. 4-4-5 sequence), then that's a whole other ball game. If you need accounting months, you will either need Project Server or you will need to export the Project data to Excel to reformat Project data into accounting months.

Hope this helps.

John

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 2:26 AM
  • Yes, you can do it but not completely. Double click the timescale, you will see Timescale dialog displayed. In the Middle Tier tab, change the label to "1, 2, ..., 52, 1, 2, ...". You can't add your own label like "Week 6 of 2014" but need to choose one from the label dropdown.

Sai PMI-SP, MCTS Project

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 2:36 AM
  • Hi,

As far as I understand, you'd like in Project Pro to configure the timescale having W1, W2,... starting from the 1st fiscal week rather than from the project start date. Unfortunately, MS Project timescale will always take the project start date for the notation of the weeks (or any time unit).

What you can do is to set the following process: all project start date must be the first day of the first fiscal year. Then configuring your timescale with weeks will correspond to the fiscal periods.

Then if you are working with the server version, you can define fiscal periods (see article). It will NOT affect your MS Project timescale but it will allow you integrating easily fiscal period you defined in any reports (excel services, SSRS, performance point...).

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 3:28 PM
  • In addition to this, note that you can define in Project options when does the fiscal year starts (this parameter will be used by te check box "use fiscal year".

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 3:32 PM
  • Looking for similar help. A coworker is setting up an MS Project...project, and she asked for some help adding a custom field that would convert the Start date field into our Fiscal Quarter Fiscal Week schema, to display as FQFW, e.g. Q1W1. I've written the formula in excel, but I've never even touched Project until this week. Apparently it doesn't take formulas quite the same way as Excel does. I tried using the ''Switch" function in Project, and it worked, but it only accepts 14 arguments(right?), and there are obviously 52 weeks we're dealing with. Do you have any suggestions? Would there be a way to do this using VBA? (I know next to nothing here as well.)

Formula in excel where A1 is the Start Date:
    =IF(AND(A1>=DATE(2014,2,1),A1<=DATE(2014,5,2)),CONCATENATE("Q1","W",(INT((A1-DATE(2014,2,1))/7)+1)),IF(AND(A1>=DATE(2014,5,3),A1<=DATE(2014,8,1)),CONCATENATE("Q2","W",(INT((A1-DATE(2014,5,3))/7)+1)),IF(AND(A1>=DATE(2014,8,2),A1<=DATE(2014,10,31)),CONCATENATE("Q3","W",(INT((A1-DATE(2014,8,2))/7)+1)),IF(AND(A1>=DATE(2014,11,1),A1<=DATE(2015,1,30)),CONCATENATE("Q4","W",(INT((A1-DATE(2014,11,1))/7)+1)),FALSE))))

Any and all suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

Thursday, March 20, 2014 11:50 PM
  • msinnen,

Answered under your separate post.

John

Friday, March 21, 2014 2:57 AM
  • Hello Not sure how old this post is but I was looking for a solution to this myself. I used MS PROJECT 2007 and here's what I did to start week one on the first of January. From the toolbars, project>project information>set the start date to the first of January on the year you want. Then you can right-click on the Gantt chart header and select a band that shows weeks. Not sure if it restarts on the following years.
    Wednesday, July 29, 2015 7:46 AM
  • hI?

i don't understand why so many people claim that the week count in the timescale label inevitably starts at the start of the project. SAI's response is spot on, setting the week count from BOY is built-in.

Greetings,

Wednesday, July 29, 2015 11:41 AM