none
Excel Power Query report Scheduled Data Refresh issue RRS feed

• Question

• I have created a Excel report for Project online using Odata and power query for fetching the data. For representing the data we are using power pivot chart and uploaded the excel file in a reports document library on Project online.

We have created a Power BI site to run the report using Power BI .On running the report it is showing the data but refresh functionality is not working.

To carry out the refresh have used Power BI Scheduled Data Refresh feature. After enabling the refresh and clicking on test connection for data source refresh getting below error:

On Premise error: Sorry, the data source for this data connection isn't registered for Power BI. Ask your Power BI admin to register the data source in the Power BI admin center

The error is showing" on Premise error "  but we have not referred On Premise environment anywhere in our data connection,the data is retrieved from online environment only.

Can any one help us how to refresh Power Query Excel reports on Power BI Site in Project Online environment. 

Monday, August 10, 2015 10:21 AM

Answers

All replies

• Are you using the Data Management Gateway?
    Monday, August 10, 2015 12:24 PM
  • No, I am not using Data Management Gateway.  I think Data Management Gateway is required when connecting to an On-Premise environment and I am using Project Online for the report. 

So,what is the need for the Gateway?

Monday, August 10, 2015 12:34 PM
  • Well, you may need the Data Management Gateway but you definitely need to take your Power Query query and register it in the Power BI Admin Center as a data source.  See this article:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Create-a-Data-Source-and-Enable-Cloud-Access-c314605d-22fb-4a70-b487-2c8948aca492?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US#__get_a_connection_1

Monday, August 10, 2015 1:13 PM
  • Thanks for your response.

You mean to say even I have used Odata Url for Project Online I have to create Gateway and then add the power query data sources in the Power BI Admin center.

But I am not understanding why we need to add  the gateway for online data source.In power BI community forum also it is mentioned that there is no need for the Gateway for online  data source. Below is the link

https://support.powerbi.com/knowledgebase/articles/649846-power-bi-personal-gateway?WT.mc_id=Blog_Personal_Gateway

Monday, August 10, 2015 1:46 PM
  • You may not need it, but I'm thinking it is required for Power Query data sources. I'd get the data source registered and see what it says.
    Monday, August 10, 2015 1:52 PM
  • You need to register it with the Gateway in order to provide your credentials. Otherwise, the Gateway won't be able to connect.

Ehren

Monday, August 17, 2015 5:47 PM
    Owner