none
Receive connectors confusion

Question

• Hi All,

I have some receive connectors (front end type) in our environment to allow application relay. we have multi role servers.

but i have few confusion on how they work.

when i do message tracking, i see that the SMTP/Receive events and the connector name shows as Default <SERVER> which passes the email to the smart host via Send connectors.

i dont see our receive connector name in the mail flow logs. 

my queries are

> where does the email comes first, in the frontend type receive connectors or Hubtransport type receive connectors

> why i am not seeing the name of the custom receive connector in the tracking logs

Thanks

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 5:21 AM

All replies

• What command you are using get tracking?
    Wednesday, February 28, 2018 5:44 AM
  • get-messagetrackinglog

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 5:45 AM
  • Hi Exchange_SSN,

> where does the email comes first, in the frontend type receive connectors or Hubtransport type receive connectors

It comes in the frontend type receive connectors

> why i am not seeing the name of the custom receive connector in the tracking logs

You can check the "connector-id" field in message tracking logs file, by default, it exist in %ExchangeInstallPath%TransportRoles\Logs\MessageTracking .

For details about How relay connectors works, you can refer to the following article:

How Anonymous Relay works in Exchange 2013

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, March 1, 2018 9:00 AM
  • Hi Niko,

But i checked the same "connector-id" field in logs but it only shows Default <SERVER> connector which i believe is a HUB Transport type connector.

Nowhere in the logs the Frontend receive connectors were mentioned.

Thanks

Thursday, March 1, 2018 9:17 AM
  • Hi Exchange_SSN,

Are logs about the message sent by application instead of internal mailbox?

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, March 2, 2018 9:21 AM
  • >> where does the email comes first, in the frontend type receive connectors or Hubtransport type receive connectors?
    - It depends on where and how the emails come from:

Default RCs created on a Mailbox server role running the Transport service:

• Default <server name>   Accepts connections from Mailbox servers running the Transport service and from Edge servers.

• Client Proxy <server name>   Accepts connections from front-end servers. Typically, messages are sent to a front-end server over SMTP.

Default RCs created on a Front End Transport server:

• Default FrontEnd <server name>   Accepts connections from SMTP senders over port 25. This is the common messaging entry point into your organization.

• Outbound Proxy Frontend <server name>   Accepts messages from a Send Connector on a back-end server, with front-end proxy enabled.

• Client Frontend <server name>   Accepts secure connections, with Transport Layer Security (TLS) applied.

>> why i am not seeing the name of the custom receive connector in the tracking logs.
    -It would happen if the custom receive connector was not in use during the mail flow you checked. If any receive connector is in use, you could find it in Message Tracking log.

Could you share the Receive Connectors configuration with us? The Remote Address of the receive connector defines from where the Receive connector receives SMTP connections. Run Get-ReceiveConnector | fl, you would get all receive connector configurations.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

Friday, March 9, 2018 8:01 AM
    Owner
  • application emails.
    Friday, March 9, 2018 9:27 AM
  • capture2capture1

First image shows the rec connector where the application IP is added. this is the connector name i was expecting in the tracking logs. ( if i remove the IP, then i am not able to send emails. error client was not authenticated)

second image shows the rec connector which is actually appearing in the tracking logs. SMTP/Receive event shows this connector name.

Friday, March 9, 2018 9:50 AM