Pooled VDI can't create virtual machine from template Vm RRS feed

• Question

• Hi 

1- I create new VM and install windows 8 on it.

2-I use sysprep command in this VM and Shutdown.

3 I create VDI Pool and give the template vm to it (Windows 8).

but there is problem ?

"The VMHostAgent service timed out while waiting for the newly provisioned virtual desktop to start"

i Search for answer find that i must delete setupcomplete.cmd , but i dont find it ,

Can any body help me ?

thanks. 

I Love God,because he help me to find Technet.

Saturday, June 15, 2013 2:20 PM

Answers

• Hi Yahya :D

You should do this :

1. Virtual Hard Disk
      1. The Master VM can only have one virtual hard disk (VHD) attached to it; more than one VHD attached to the Master VM is not supported.
      2. The VHD attached to the Master VM must have either a Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8 image in sysprep generalized state.
      3. A diff disk chain attached to the Master VM as its VHD is supported.
      4. Although the VHD can have more than one logical partition defined in it, it can have only one Windows OS image installed in it.
    2. Memory: If the Master VM is configured with static memory, it must have at least 1024 MB as startup RAM. If the Master VM is configured with dynamic memory, the maximum RAM must be at least 1024 MB.
    3. Network: The Master VM must have a network adapter connected to a virtual switch on the hyper-V server.
    4. Snapshots on Master VM: A Master VM can have one or more snapshots. If there are multiple snapshots created on the Master VM, the current ("Now") state of the VM will be used to automatically create the VMs in a managed collection. This allows admins to manage the Master VM more efficiently. For example, an admin can take snapshot on the Master just before running sysprep generalize command and after the sysprep is complete, the Master VM can be used for creating a managed virtual desktop collection.
    5. Domain connectivity: Since the VMs in a managed collection are automatically joined to the specified domain, admins must ensure that the domain controller is reachable through the virtual switches on all the hyper-V servers.
    6. Export: During the managed virtual desktop collection creation process, the first step that Remote Desktop Services takes is to export the Master VM. This export process creates a copy of the Master VM's current h/w settings and the VHD attached to the Master VM at the admin specified storage location. The automatically created VMs and the VHDs attached to these VMs are based upon this copy of the Master VM. The original Master VM is never modified by Remote Desktop Services. Once the export process is complete, admin can continue using it.
    7. Two or more collections can share a Master VM. Each time a new collection is created or updated, the Master VM is exported again. So each managed collection has its own copy of a Master VM.

Master (Gold) VM in Managed Virtual Desktop Collections

finally i can do it with these steps, I share for other people that may  have same problem .

• Marked as answer by YahyaZahedi Tuesday, June 18, 2013 4:51 AM
    Tuesday, June 18, 2013 4:51 AM

All replies

• please help,

I cant create pool vdi automatic in server 2012 .

how can create a VMtemplate for VDI ?

Sunday, June 16, 2013 1:05 PM
  • Hi Yahya :D

You should do this :

1. Virtual Hard Disk
      1. The Master VM can only have one virtual hard disk (VHD) attached to it; more than one VHD attached to the Master VM is not supported.
      2. The VHD attached to the Master VM must have either a Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8 image in sysprep generalized state.
      3. A diff disk chain attached to the Master VM as its VHD is supported.
      4. Although the VHD can have more than one logical partition defined in it, it can have only one Windows OS image installed in it.
    2. Memory: If the Master VM is configured with static memory, it must have at least 1024 MB as startup RAM. If the Master VM is configured with dynamic memory, the maximum RAM must be at least 1024 MB.
    3. Network: The Master VM must have a network adapter connected to a virtual switch on the hyper-V server.
    4. Snapshots on Master VM: A Master VM can have one or more snapshots. If there are multiple snapshots created on the Master VM, the current ("Now") state of the VM will be used to automatically create the VMs in a managed collection. This allows admins to manage the Master VM more efficiently. For example, an admin can take snapshot on the Master just before running sysprep generalize command and after the sysprep is complete, the Master VM can be used for creating a managed virtual desktop collection.
    5. Domain connectivity: Since the VMs in a managed collection are automatically joined to the specified domain, admins must ensure that the domain controller is reachable through the virtual switches on all the hyper-V servers.
    6. Export: During the managed virtual desktop collection creation process, the first step that Remote Desktop Services takes is to export the Master VM. This export process creates a copy of the Master VM's current h/w settings and the VHD attached to the Master VM at the admin specified storage location. The automatically created VMs and the VHDs attached to these VMs are based upon this copy of the Master VM. The original Master VM is never modified by Remote Desktop Services. Once the export process is complete, admin can continue using it.
    7. Two or more collections can share a Master VM. Each time a new collection is created or updated, the Master VM is exported again. So each managed collection has its own copy of a Master VM.

Master (Gold) VM in Managed Virtual Desktop Collections

finally i can do it with these steps, I share for other people that may  have same problem .

• Marked as answer by YahyaZahedi Tuesday, June 18, 2013 4:51 AM
    Tuesday, June 18, 2013 4:51 AM
  • i have the same problem, 

Saturday, May 31, 2014 7:38 PM
  • Problem solved

we need to follow as following

1. create VM (OS should be Win7sp1 or win 8)

2. install hyper-v integrated tool

3. Join on domain esnure the ip are on DHCP so make sure that IP should be automatically assign from dhcp server

4. After join on domain restart 

5. after restart run sysprep with shutdown mode 

6. after that please ensure that in hyper-v setting of the VM on boot cd/dvd mode "none" should be selected

7. you are then done 

8. sysprep of VM is ready

Warm Regards, Niraj Mehta

• Proposed as answer by William_Saltos Tuesday, August 6, 2019 12:42 PM
    Monday, November 10, 2014 5:10 PM