MDT 2013 LTI question RRS feed

• Question

• I am in the process of setting up an test of MDT 2013 running on Windows Server 2012 R2. I enabled WDS and then installed MDT. I have configured the two main .ini files (Bootstrap.ini & CustomSettings.ini) based on what I have read from multiple online resources and the included Help file. My reference image is just Windows 8.1 x64 Enterprise that I built in Hyper-V and sysprepped using the GUI (no unattend.xml specified).

In order to get a fully automated image task, do I need to go to my custom WIM in WDS and right click on it and select properties to enable silent install and specify an unattend.xml?  I have an unattend.xml file that I have been using with another imaging solution.  It contains all the settings to wipe the hard drive using diskpart, set the partitions, etc.  It seems redundant though as MDT appears to want you to specify those settings in the Task Sequence or is this a case of "choose which one you want to deal with"?

Thursday, May 21, 2015 6:55 PM

Answers

• If you want to fully automate a task sequence you need to configure CustomSettings.ini with the necessary properties. Such as:

SkipBDDWelcome=YES

SkipTaskSequence=YES

TaskSequenceID=WIN81X64

SkipApplications=YES<o:p></o:p>

Applications001={a26c6358-8db9-4615-90ff-d4511dc2feff}

Applications002={7e9d10a0-42ef-4a0a-9ee2-90eb2f4e4b98}

Etc, etc.

WDS is needed if you're going to PXE boot to your MDT media instead of using bootable media like a UFD. You're going to want to use MDT as your deployment solution and not WDS.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

• Marked as answer by disk2 Thursday, May 21, 2015 9:27 PM
    Thursday, May 21, 2015 8:41 PM