Line Chart not plotting end-to-end RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I have a line chart that plots a measure against 12 months of a year. The problem is that it is not plotting the line completely through out the chart space. If the measure is 0 or  null for some months, the line chart is not plotting those.

It just plots a line from January to March (for non-zero) values and then disconnects the line. Thereafter it just shows a dot (pointer) on the months that have some non-zero value. This is not the same behavior in Excel which shows the complete series and even plots the zero values with out disconnecting the line.

Is there any way to make it plot for all the months including the zero values just line excel does?

Thanks.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 6:58 PM

Answers

• Zero values should be plotted on the graph just fine but NULL values will always be skipped.  This feature was built-in to the chart intentionally and I am not aware of a way to force it to plot NULL values as zeros.  However, you could create a calculated member that forced the NULL values to zeros.  Here is a simple example of the calculated member:

IIF(ISEMPTY([Measures].[Sales Amt]), 0, [Measures].[Sales Amt])

-Jason

BTG Services

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 9:15 PM

All replies

• Zero values should be plotted on the graph just fine but NULL values will always be skipped.  This feature was built-in to the chart intentionally and I am not aware of a way to force it to plot NULL values as zeros.  However, you could create a calculated member that forced the NULL values to zeros.  Here is a simple example of the calculated member:

IIF(ISEMPTY([Measures].[Sales Amt]), 0, [Measures].[Sales Amt])

-Jason

BTG Services

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 9:15 PM
  • Thanks Jason.

I already converted NULLS to 0's in the MDX calculcation and the numbers show up as $0's in the grid for those months. But the line in the chart does not connect those dots.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 9:29 PM
  • Thank you Jason, You were right. I had an another issue with the formula. Now it is returning 0's and the chart is being plotted for 0's as well.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 1:45 PM