Server 2019 Support and Requirements RRS feed

• Question

• Will WSUS running on 2012 R2 or and/or 2016 support a 2019 client or downstream server?
    Saturday, October 6, 2018 9:47 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Glad to help.

The WSUS on the server 2019 would not be much different from previous version. You could set WSUS on 2019 as a downstream of WSUS on 2012 R2 or on 2016.

And it also support server 2019 as clients of 2012 R2 or 2016. However, the updates for 2019 have not been published to update catalog and WSUS for now. We need to wait.

Hope my answer could help you.

Best Regards,
    Ray

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 8, 2018 1:12 AM
  • Hello,

I think there might be an issue with downstream servers in server wsus 2019.

First I did update my main WSUS to 2019. All Downstream were 2016. After that I was not able to view the complete computer list on the main server. As soon as you choose the “All Computers” or a computer group that is from a downstream server the console crashes. When you delete the downstream server from the “Downstream Servers” section I am able to browse the list again.

After that I decided to reinstall all WSUS Servers with server 2019 even including the main one. And I did again get the error.

Tried it via Powershell gives me the following error.

$wsusserver = "localhost"
    [reflection.assembly]::LoadWithPartialName("Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration")
    $wsus = [Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.AdminProxy]::getUpdateServer($wsusserver,$False)
    $computerScope = New-object Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.ComputerTargetScope
    $computerScope.IncludeDownstreamComputerTargets = $true
    $wsus.GetComputerTargets($computerScope)

Exception calling "GetComputerTargets" with "1" argument(s): "Unable to cast object of type 'System.Guid' to type 'System.String'."

At line:1 char:1

If I choose to not include Downstream Computer Targets it works.

Monday, October 8, 2018 1:45 PM
  • Yep - I am seeing the same thing on a band new 2019 WSUS with a 2019 downstream.

"Unable to cast object of type 'System.Guid' to type 'System.String'" exception when "Include computers and status from replica downstream servers" is enabled.

Switching it to "Show computers and status from this server alone" resolved the error, but is far from an ideal solution.

Wednesday, October 17, 2018 2:25 PM
  • i did make a new Post, so maybe it does get MS attention.
    Thursday, October 18, 2018 6:39 AM