none
Exchange Database repaired by eseutil.exe is warning me I need to evacuate mailboxes - Is typical MoveRequest sufficient, or I need to export/import .pst files?

Question

• Hello,

I have an Exchange 2013 database which contains mailboxes, and I'm getting this error in the Event logs

Database <databasenamehere> has been offline-repaired (by eseutil.exe) one or more times in the past. However, although this ensures database-level logical consistency and may permit the database to be successfully mounted, Exchange-level logical consistency can no longer be guaranteed. Therefore, all mailboxes should be evacuated from the database and the database should be retired as soon as possible in order to eliminate the potential for unexpected behaviour caused by Exchange-level logical inconsistency.      

This event will continue to be emitted once per hour while the database is mounted as an urgent reminder to evacuate and retire the database as soon as possible.      

Now, my question is, can I simply move the mailboxes to another database via the New-MoveRequest command and that will restore the integrity of the mailboxes, or do I have to go through this complicated import/export process described in the below link:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee633455(v=exchg.150).aspx

Also, I see that .pst files have a file size limit of 50 gb.  Is there any size limit on New-MoveRequests or migration of mailboxes in general?  For example, one mailbox I want to move is 75 GB.

Thanks for your help.

• Edited by sygg13 Wednesday, April 25, 2018 6:38 PM
    Wednesday, April 25, 2018 5:01 PM

Answers

• Yes use the New-MoveRequest and no there is not a limit on mailbox size to move since they don't store the data within a PST and instead stream the data from one db to another.  (Although check to ensure the new DB doesn't have a mailbox restriction in place that would conflict the migration. Yes you are correct re PST @ 50Gb and be aware that exporting via the MS cmdlets to PST does not do a size check, therefore if you opt to ever export to PST you should either use a 3rd party utility that monitors size to create PST's and then spawns a new PST, i.e. Joe.PST, Joe1.PST etc.

Search, Recover, Export Mailboxes, Folders, Email, Contacts, Calendars, Tasks, etc. from Offline Exchange Databases (EDBs), On-Premise Exchange Servers and Office 365. Migrate/Recover direct from any offline EDB into any On-Premises Exchange Server, even cross version i.e. 2003 → 2007 → 2010 →2013 → 2016 → Office 365 with Lucid8's DigiScope

• Marked as answer by sygg13 Thursday, April 26, 2018 4:22 AM
    Wednesday, April 25, 2018 10:42 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I would recommend you to do the move mailbox request from one database to another.

Thanks

Syed

Dont forget to mark as Answered if you found this post helpful.

Wednesday, April 25, 2018 5:11 PM
  • Yes use the New-MoveRequest and no there is not a limit on mailbox size to move since they don't store the data within a PST and instead stream the data from one db to another.  (Although check to ensure the new DB doesn't have a mailbox restriction in place that would conflict the migration. Yes you are correct re PST @ 50Gb and be aware that exporting via the MS cmdlets to PST does not do a size check, therefore if you opt to ever export to PST you should either use a 3rd party utility that monitors size to create PST's and then spawns a new PST, i.e. Joe.PST, Joe1.PST etc.

Search, Recover, Export Mailboxes, Folders, Email, Contacts, Calendars, Tasks, etc. from Offline Exchange Databases (EDBs), On-Premise Exchange Servers and Office 365. Migrate/Recover direct from any offline EDB into any On-Premises Exchange Server, even cross version i.e. 2003 → 2007 → 2010 →2013 → 2016 → Office 365 with Lucid8's DigiScope

• Marked as answer by sygg13 Thursday, April 26, 2018 4:22 AM
    Wednesday, April 25, 2018 10:42 PM
  • Yes, you are correct re PST @ 50Gb and is not recommended. As troy suggested, you should use a third party software to export mailboxes to pst, they creates different PSTs for different mailboxes.

Check following articles for more information about import/export procces:

Reference 1

Reference 2

Friday, April 27, 2018 12:05 PM