none
Re-use of old passwords. RRS feed

• General discussion

• December 23, 2015: Microsoft undoubtedly beleives that it is employing and enforcing best practices when it comes to requiring certain minimum standards from account holders (users) when they create a Microsoft account and thus supply a password. With myriad social networking sites, e-commerce sites, and email sites vying for unique logon credentials, it behooves every user to create a system that will allow him or her to remember her password. Best practices dictate that she not write the password down on a piece of paper or a Post-It Note. (Doing so defeats the purpose of having a "secure" password.) On occasion we all forget one password or another. We are then forced to go through the web site's password reset function. In all cases that I have observed in 2015, no web site allows the user to re-use a previously used password. This might make sense to prevent a hacker from once again gaining access to an account. However, in the majority of cases, the user has simply forgotten her password and would like to reset it back to her most recent password so that her password is consistant with the naming convention that she uses to create passwords for all of her web sites. Not allowing her to re-use her preferred password in the name of fighting hackers when there is no hacker threat (in this instance) forces the user to write the non-standard password on a piece of paper thus defeating the purpose of having secure passwords. Consider the psychology of the average user before you implement rigorous unforgiving password schemes. Perhaps you could remind the user that she has chosen a previous password, apprise her of the risk, and then let her make the ultimate decision. I hope that you'll do the right thing and make life easier for us all. Sincerely, Wayne Reses {removed}
    Wednesday, December 23, 2015 11:10 PM

All replies

• If you are referring to an MS ID you can re-use previous passwords after 5 intervening passwords have been used.  Simply change your password 6 times.

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Wednesday, December 23, 2015 11:36 PM
  • Hi Wayne Reses,

How about the issue, is there anything to update?

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 8:43 AM
  • Hi Wayne,

I could fully understand your suggestion: provide an option for customers to decide whether using the old password or not by themselves. To be frank, as we know, it is a networked world, network security is so important because it is related with our wealthy, privacy and so on.

However, that's a good idea, return back the right to customers!

Regards,

Lany Zhang

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 1:39 PM
  • Thanks, I can finally use a password I can remember again!
    Monday, March 16, 2020 6:08 AM