Is there a version of MAP that runs on Windows 8? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm an MSDN subscriber so I have Win 8 installed as I'm testing it - I wanted to install MAP on Windows 8 but fails when I try to install it - Is there a beta version of one that works on Windows 8?

Not sure if it matter but have Visual Studio 2012 and SQL Server 2012 installed on my machine also.

Thanks,

Tarran

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 11:51 AM

All replies

• Sorry, but Windows 8 and Server 2012 are not officially supported for installing MAP 7.0, the RTM bits were not available when we released in July so we couldn't test it. I can say that I, personally, have been able to get it to run on a Windows 8 RP installation, so perhaps it is something specific with your installation? Not sure. 

We are in the process of testing the next version of MAP for installation on those platforms. We plan to release the beta of MAP 8 this fall. You can join the beta program and be notified when it begins by following the directions posed in the announcements section of the MAP forum page. A word of warning, MAP 8 is the culmination of a long term project where we overhauled the UI and database infrastructure to improve usability and performance. As such, you will not be able to upgrade databases created in previous versions of MAP to MAP 8.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 6:44 PM
  • Hi Michael,

Is there a more definitive date yet for MAP 8 other than "this fall" as we have customers hammering at the door right now for Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V migration/consolidation assessments.

Regards,
    Steve

My System Center Blog

Thursday, September 6, 2012 6:02 AM
  • MAP 7.0 already has an assessment for Windows 8 and Server 2012 planning. We just haven't tested installing MAP on Windows 8 and Server 2012.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, September 13, 2012 6:32 AM
  • I am getting an error as well too.  Its when its doing the SQL install portion of it, it errors.  Trying to install on Windows 8 ent RTM.
    Thursday, September 13, 2012 7:07 PM
  • Installing MAP 7.0 on Windows 8 or Windows 2012 is not a supported scenario. The next version of MAP will have been tested for installing on Windows 8 and Server 2012.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 10:54 PM