FCS Client Console User Options RRS feed

• General discussion

• Clients are running on XP SP2. FCS is SP1

I would like my users to have the following controll over FCS client:

1. Give users the ability to open the client console, to scan their own computers to check CD's and Floppy Disks (this is written as a company policy that users have to do this)
    2. Do not allow users to change any settings, such as exclusions or scan times
    3. Do not prompt users for any malware problems or prompts to potentially unwanted programs or file changes such as happens if you change the hosts file, or IE changes some way (just allow these events to be held centrally in MOM)

4. This is more a nice to have, but is there any way to add FCS to the context menu, so that they could right click on a file or CD, folder etc and then scan it (I wouldn't need to give them access to the console then)

It seems that if I allow users to be able to access the console, then they get quite a few messages relating to permitting or denying programs, and I want to avoid this since they are not used to questions being asked.
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 9:46 AM

All replies

• Hello!
    Unfortunately, the level of granularity that you are looking for is not available in FCS v1.  If you allow end users to view the console, they can configure settings not defined by the central admin.  So they can't change scan times, but they can add exclusions

As for prompts, I'm trying to remember the specifics, but we were required to have some level of user interaction - we couldn't have a zero-interaction-mode available.  I'll see if I can find out why

As for the rt-clk -> Scan, that feature is not available in FCS v1, but is targeted for our next release (FCS v2/Stirling)

Thanks
    Chris
    Forefront Client Security PM
    Chris Sfanos / Forefront PM
    Monday, September 29, 2008 9:47 PM