none
What's the best way of substituting task assignment from one resource to another without project server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I need to know if there's a good way to substitute task assignments from one generic resource to a real resource using Project professional 2010 and NOT project server. What i tried so far was opening resource usage view and simply renaming the generic with the real resource name but the problem in this is if i rename the same resource twice it creates two lines in resource usage under the same name.

Any ideas?

THanks,

Monday, February 25, 2013 3:02 PM

Answers

• Hi Eagle,

Right click on the task -> Assign Resources -> Select the Generic Resource to be replaced -> Click on Replace button and from list of resources select a named resource. If the generic resource has some actual, the remaining work gets allocated to the named resource Or if no actual is there its a simple replacement.

Sapna Shukla

Monday, February 25, 2013 3:45 PM

All replies

• Hi Eagle,

Right click on the task -> Assign Resources -> Select the Generic Resource to be replaced -> Click on Replace button and from list of resources select a named resource. If the generic resource has some actual, the remaining work gets allocated to the named resource Or if no actual is there its a simple replacement.

Sapna Shukla

Monday, February 25, 2013 3:45 PM
  • Hi Sapna,

Thanks for the reply. This will only be good for replacing one task at a time but what i wanted to do is replace all the tasks assigned to a generic resource with a real resource. Over 100 tasks

Thanks,

Monday, February 25, 2013 6:22 PM
  • Hi,

Select all the relevant tasks, right-click on the selection, and use Assign Resources to replace the generic resource for the lot.

Sapna's advice is also OK for more than one task!

Greetings,

Monday, February 25, 2013 6:50 PM
  • you can also use the 'Using Resource' filter, that will display just the tasks using a particular resource (that you select), you can then select then select all tasks, then follow Jan's instructions.
    Monday, February 25, 2013 10:14 PM
  • To add to the preceding great answers, when doing a replace with the Assign Resources function you can select all the tasks in the project (or any subset) and the replace operation will only operate on the ones where the resource selected for replacement actually appears.

Another option - if the resource you are assigning is not already part of the project team, you can use the replace option in the Build Team from Enterprise function. That way you don't have to select any tasks - the replacement is done for all assignments of the original generic resource you are replacing.

Graham

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 2:07 PM