Windows Update followed by BlackSOD on boot.‏ RRS feed

• Question

• I am posing this questions at the suggestion of MicrosoftAnswers.

Nature of Event
    After Windows Update, the computer boots to a BlackSOD with only the cursor arrow on the screen.
    Machine moves through Dell splash page, and Windows splash screen, then a horizontal pink bar and b&w bar flash, followed by black.
    I resolve the issue by using the repair disk to return to a state prior to the update install -- System Restore.

Computer

1. Dell Inspiron 410  (installed and running since April, 2010)
    2. Windows 7 Home Premium    Product ID:  90359-OEM-8992687-00095
    3. AMD Phenom II X4 P960, 1.8GHz, Quad Core 2MB
    4. 8GB DDR3 SDRAM AT 1333MHz - 2X4GB Dual Channel
    5. ATI Mobility Radeon HD MXM Discrete Graphics Card (latest driver loaded)
    No peripherals are plugged in; no cd/dvd in drive; video out is through an HDMI connection to lcd tv; audio out through S/P DIF; mouse and keyboard Perixx Periboard model W8016R (this has a usb sender, but problem occurs when a mouse and keyboard are directly plugged into unit via usb)
    Event Viewer -- ERRORS --ID and Descriptor
    0     TOASTER.EXE
    3     Windows Activation Technology
    5     Kernel General
    55    Ntfs
    100  Bonjour Service  (n.b.  I have deleted the Bonjour program, problem still occurs)
    513  CAP12
    1001 Dhcp-Client
    1001 BugCheck
    1008 Customer Experience Improvement Program
    6008 Event Log
    7000, 7001, 7009, 7011, 7026   Service Control Manager
    8032 Browser

Windows Update Log
    There are no FAILED installed updates.
    Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    ---end---

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 8:31 PM

Answers

• The issue occurs if updates were not installed properly by some reasons. Please restore the system in WinRE and then run Windows Update again. I suggest you turn off antivirus when running Windows Update.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Tuesday, January 17, 2012 5:13 AM
    Friday, January 6, 2012 6:06 AM