Starting task manager with high priority RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,
    Task Manager in Windows 8.1 starts with normal priority when invoked usng Shift-Ctrl-Esc or Ctrl-Alt-Delete.

In prev. OSes it started with high prioritym which helped a lot when it was necessary to kill/lower priority/lower affinity of some misbehaving proces. This gets pretty tough in 8.1

Question is obvious: is there a setting to make taskmgr run with high priority in Win 8.1?

Thanks, this is actually question of one of my students and I couldn't find solution.

MP

• Changed type Brandon Records Tuesday, February 3, 2015 4:06 PM Discussion of TaskMgr behavior.
    Monday, January 19, 2015 12:23 PM

All replies

• Question is obvious: is there a setting to make taskmgr run with high priority in Win 8.1?

Try using the Start command?   There are switches on it which look like they will do what you want.   ; )

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, January 19, 2015 6:45 PM
  • Robert,
    i sure know how to use start command. I believe I could even

Although not explicitely specified, the high priority is obviously needed when the system is 101% loaded and even just starting just task manager using shift-ctrl-esc takes years. I don't think wrapping task manager with anything else will finish within user's current live :/

I hope both the question and reason is clear

MP

Monday, January 19, 2015 7:43 PM
  • just starting just task manager using shift-ctrl-esc takes years.

In that case don't use that keyboard shortcut, use Ctrl-Alt-Delete, End, Enter

However, why couldn't you also have a keyboard shortcut (JIC) which would do the Start command?   <eg>

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, January 19, 2015 11:34 PM
  • In that case don't use that keyboard shortcut, use Ctrl-Alt-Delete, End, Enter

Does this really run task manager with high priority on your Windows 8.1?

MP

P.S. using start with higher than normal priority requires UAC/Admin rights. So ... i'm in situation when mouse hardly moves, keyboard lags and you advice me to use shortcut that starts elevated cmd.exe /c start /high ... that's not gonna finish the same year as invoked. But seriously: do you have an idea why priority of  invoked taskmgr.exe changed between Win7 and Win8?

Tuesday, January 20, 2015 12:04 AM
  • Does this really run task manager with high priority on your Windows 8.1?

I think Ctrl-Alt-Delete can be more reliable than Ctrl-Shift-Esc.  The latter relies on explorer.exe.  Also, you could choose to switch users and get Task Manager running with it.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, January 20, 2015 1:30 AM
  • Robert,

the main issue is not HOW TO INVOKE task manager, but how to invoke it with HIGH PRIORITY (same as in Win 7)

Thx

MP

Tuesday, February 3, 2015 6:12 PM