none
Replace Headings RRS feed

• Question

• When cleaning up data, I often find myself changing the values of all of the headings in my source table. I know I can use a simple M expression such as

Rename.Headers = Table.RenameColumns(Source,{{"reg", "Region"}, {"div", "Division"}})

I want to be more dynamic, holding all of the old and new values in an Excel table, read that table, and apply the values. I can deploy such code regularly, and being an Excel table I have a simple maintenance option.

I thought that by getting that table into a list with each row of the list as a comma separated pair, such as  reg,Region and div,Division, I could then pass that list toTable.RenameColumns().

I can get the list simply enough with

List.Headings = Table.ToList(Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Headings"]}[Content]),

but it fails when I try to apply this to the data table

Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook() {[Name="SalesData"]}[Content],
    //    Rename.Headers = Table.RenameColumns(Source,{{"reg", "Region"}, {"div", "Division"}})
        Rename.Headers = Table.RenameColumns(Source, List.Headings)

The last line errors saying that the expression expects a RenameOperations value.

Any ideas how to achieve my objective?

Thursday, March 12, 2015 10:11 AM

Answers

• A single comma-separated pair won't work; you need lists with two values each. If your table has two columns with the old name and new name, then you can use Table.ToRows to convert it to a list of lists.
    Thursday, March 12, 2015 1:30 PM

All replies

• A single comma-separated pair won't work; you need lists with two values each. If your table has two columns with the old name and new name, then you can use Table.ToRows to convert it to a list of lists.
    Thursday, March 12, 2015 1:30 PM
  • I originally tried to create a list of lists, and I thought I had tried Table.ToRows, but maybe not as that is working fine now.

Thanks.

Thursday, March 12, 2015 2:53 PM