Windows Vista 32-bit Core 2 Duo RRS feed

• Question

•  

I was wondering why a laptop company would preinstall a system with a core 2 duo with Home Premium 32bit when the chip is capable of doing 64?
    Tuesday, November 27, 2007 9:04 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Thanks for your post!

Generally, Windows Vista 64-bit edition and 32-bit edition are both options for a computer that supports 64-bit operating system. Compared with 32-bit Windows Vista, 64-bit editions could benefit you for the greater performance, larger RAM compatibility and so on.

For more information about Windows Vista 64-bit editions, please refer to:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/64bit.mspx

However, some points about using 64-bit Windows Vista should come into notice:

·         Drivers claimed to support only 32-bit Windows Vista may not work with 64-bit system. Please make sure whether the drivers designed for Windows Vista 64-bit edition are available.

·         Some applications running on 32-bit Windows Vista may fail to work or loss some features on 64-bit editions.

·         It is not permitted to perform directly upgrading from 32-bit Windows Vista to 64-bit editions. That needs a custom install instead of upgrade.

For answers to questions frequently asked about 32-bit and 64-bit editions of Windows Vista, please refer to:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/41531554-d5ef-4f2c-8fb9-149bdc5c8a701033.mspx

I’m not sure why the manufacturer of your laptop doesn’t preinstall 64-bit editions of Windows Vista Home Premium in its products, but It’s very possible that the points above are considered. If you want to know the exact answer to this question, I highly recommend you to contact the manufacturer of the laptop.

Hope it helps!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 7:53 AM