none
Display resolution question RRS feed

• Question

• I deployed offline image with USB, and use a lock screen file with 1366x768 resolutions.

All works fine except one, that one has 1024x768 resolutions and it seems that is locked. Control Panel -> Display shows the fixed options: 1024x768 & 3200x1800.

I googled and tried GPO (I disabled all GPO locks to edit display settings) and various registry entries, but still can't change it.

Lastly I found the entry as below, but after I changed the highlighted entry (to 1366) and logout/restart, it always resumed after that. It looks there are some 'locks' I need to turn off, but don't know what/where.

Can anyone help on it? Thanks!

Thursday, January 25, 2018 1:21 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I'm afraid you need to provide Windows version and make+model name of the problematic monitor.
    (and I hope you will insert a screenshot not upset)

Regards,

Ashidacchi

Thursday, January 25, 2018 7:35 AM
  • It's Windows 10 (build 1709 is being deployed) x64 on Dell XPS 15 9530.

Sorry for the upside down of the screenshot, I took it with snipping tool and tried to fix it but couldn't.

Thursday, January 25, 2018 4:22 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for information.
    Dell XPS 15 9530: its monitor resolution is 4K (3840 x 2160) ??

I cannot understand you situation and what you want to do.
    Do you want change resolution or DPI which does not fit for your monitor? Do you want to use an external monitor? 

Regards,

Ashidacchi

Friday, January 26, 2018 12:32 AM
  • As I mentioned earlier, the system only has two resolution options: 1024x768 & 3200x1800, it's locked (i.e. you can only choose for one of them).

I really want to be able to change the resolution to make it to fit the image that works for all other systems. If I can't, I have to create a separate image to meet the locked resolutions, which I would like to avoid.

Do you know how to find out where/what has locked the resolutions?

Monday, January 29, 2018 9:56 PM
  • Hi Peter,

I can hardly understand the meaning of "I really want to be able to change the resolution to make it to fit the image that works for all other systems.".

(1) Check if Display adapter and Monitor is recognized or is working correctly in Device Manage
        [Windows] key + [R] > type "devmgmt.msc" and [Enter]

(2) Download and install the latest graphic driver, via DELL support/download page    

Regards,

Ashidacchi

Monday, January 29, 2018 10:51 PM
  • Thanks for the info!

By "I really want to be able to change the resolution to make it to fit the image that works for all other systems.", I meant that I wanted XPS 9530 to also have '1366x768' resolution so that it will display the image (which has been created for 1366x768 display) properly as other systems do. I would like either can manually change the resolutions (to make it 1366x768) or the system to have that resolutions by default (i.e. existing drivers). I now believe that the XPS system need to have proper drivers installed to have that resolutions, since it's now only have 'basic' drivers for 'Display' and 'Monitor'. But my question is how do I Know which driver(s) I should add to MDT for the display? The first thing I can think of is to go to DELL and pick up the latest driver release for Win10, I already did it and the drivers are already in MDT to install for XPS. The only possibilities is that either the drivers are not correct, or the drivers are ok but they are not installed properly during deployment. But how can I check and determine?

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 12:18 AM
  • Hi Peter,

Thank you for explanation.

(1) But I cannot understand why you want to change resolution to 1366x768. If the size of an image is 1366x768 pixel, you can see it as 1366x768 in larger resolution of monitor.
    Do you want to show an image (1366x768) as wall paper on your monitor? 

(2) If you see 'basic drivers for Display' in Device Manage, I guess you are not use a proper driver for your computer.
    Please insert a screenshot of Device Manager in your post, or share it via cloud storage such as OneDrive, Dropbox, etc.

(3) Please check hardware spec (especially display resolution) in your computer manual. How is it?

Regards,

Ashidacchi

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 1:22 AM