none
DPM 2016 Installation Error 4056 RRS feed

• Question

• Trying to do a fresh installation of DPM 2016 on Windows Server 2016.   I get the error below.   I have tried turning off the firewall, but it still fails.   I know that it can update the firewall because it creates 3 rules successfully, but I can't get past this error.  

DPM Setup was unable to add DPM to the Windows Firewall Exceptions. Review the error details. In Control Panel, click Windows Firewall, and on the General tab, verify that the "Don't allow exceptions" option is unchecked. Use Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel to uninstall DPM and then run DPM Setup again.
    ID: 4056. Details: Incorrect function

In the DPM error log, it looks like it is getting hung up on the netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group command below.   The installation successfully created the 3 firewall rules, but fails on the set rule group.   

[3/7/2017 8:30:01 AM] Information : Calling netsh process with arguments : advfirewall firewall add rule name="Microsoft System Center 2016 Data Protection Manager" dir=in program="E:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2016\DPM\DPM\bin\msdpm.exe" profile=Any action=allow
    [3/7/2017 8:30:02 AM] Information : Calling netsh process with arguments : advfirewall firewall add rule name="Microsoft System Center 2016 Data Protection Manager Replication Agent" dir=in program="E:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2016\DPM\DPM\bin\dpmra.exe" profile=Any action=allow
    [3/7/2017 8:30:02 AM] Information : Calling netsh process with arguments : advfirewall firewall add rule name="Microsoft System Center 2016 Data Protection Manager DCOM setting" dir=in action=allow protocol=TCP localport=135 profile=Any
    [3/7/2017 8:30:02 AM] Information : Calling netsh process with arguments : advfirewall firewall set rule group="@FirewallAPI.dll,-28502" new enable=yes
    [3/7/2017 8:30:03 AM] * Exception :  => DPM Setup was unable to add DPM to the Windows Firewall Exceptions.Review the error details. In Control Panel, click Windows Firewall, and on the General tab, verify that the "Don't allow exceptions" option is unchecked. Use Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel to uninstall DPM and then run DPM Setup again.Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Exceptions.BackEndErrorException: Exception of type 'Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Exceptions.BackEndErrorException' was thrown.
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Wizard.Configurator.CallNetShProcess(String arguments, Boolean ignoreFailure)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Wizard.Configurator.ConfigureWindowsFirewall()
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Wizard.BackEnd.Configure(Boolean existingDB, Boolean upgrading, String databaseLocation, String sqlServerMachineName, String sqlInstanceName, String reportingMachineName, String reportingInstanceName, Boolean oemSetup)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Wizard.DpmInstaller.Configure()
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Wizard.ProgressPage.InstallerThreadEntry()
    *** Mojito error was: WindowsFirewallConfigurationFailed; 1; WindowsAPI

Roger Criddle

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 4:14 PM

Answers

• I found that a GPO was overwriting the firewall rules, and therefore the installation process was unable to update the firewall rules.    I disabled the GPO which allowed the install to work.

Roger Criddle

• Marked as answer by Roger Criddle Wednesday, March 22, 2017 8:10 PM
    Wednesday, March 22, 2017 8:10 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What happens when you run that last command that appears to have failed ?

C:\Windows\system32>netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="@FirewallAPI.dll,-28502" new enable=yes

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 11:20 PM
  • I found that a GPO was overwriting the firewall rules, and therefore the installation process was unable to update the firewall rules.    I disabled the GPO which allowed the install to work.

Roger Criddle

• Marked as answer by Roger Criddle Wednesday, March 22, 2017 8:10 PM
    Wednesday, March 22, 2017 8:10 PM